PP3 died mid ride

Speedyg

PP3 died mid ride

Post by Speedyg »

PP3 died mid ride. Had been working flawlessly for three years, and midway through epic 73 mi ride just started disconnecting and reconnecting to Garmin reporting ~ 30 sec of 0 power each time and flashing red/green. No button pushes would turn it off and after getting sick of hearing all the beeps on Garmin just disabled it for the rest of the ride. Any thoughts??

PP user since the begining!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: PP3 died mid ride

Post by Velocomp »

Speedyg wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:44 pm PP3 died mid ride. Had been working flawlessly for three years, and midway through epic 73 mi ride just started disconnecting and reconnecting to Garmin reporting ~ 30 sec of 0 power each time and flashing red/green. No button pushes would turn it off and after getting sick of hearing all the beeps on Garmin just disabled it for the rest of the ride. Any thoughts??

PP user since the begining!
Press-hold the button for about 12 seconds, until you see its light start flashing. This will reset PP and restore its functionality.
John Hamann
Speedyg

Post by Speedyg »

Have done, and then it goes green and red alternating and no power readings. Second press goes yellow flashing but will not do cal ride either.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Speedyg wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:33 pm Have done, and then it goes green and red alternating and no power readings. Second press goes yellow flashing but will not do cal ride either.
Flashing red/green means it is ready for a cal ride. After the next click, flashing yellow means cal ride has started.

So, somehow your PP has been reset to prompt a cal ride.

Connect your PP to Isaac. Then, open one of your recent ride files.

Once you have the ride file visible, go to Edit/Edit Profiles.

Click on "Extract from Ride File". This will get your functional profile into Isaac

Click on "Send to Device" to transfer the profile to your PP.

After this you should not see flashing red/green. Make sure the speed sensor on your bike is awake, then click PP button. It will show solid Green, and you can then resume riding.
John Hamann
Speedyg

Post by Speedyg »

Right. Will do, but for this weekend I’m without Isaac since only a new Mac with no usb adapter. I tried to do the cal ride but no numbers came up despite it flashing yellow. I wonder if it’s toast?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Nope. You may need to do another hard reset, then a cal ride.

Also: do a new sensor pairing (press-hold for 4 seconds, until light flashes green, then release). Make sure your sensors are awake before doing the pairing.
John Hamann
Speedyg

Post by Speedyg »

Had to press and hold 4 sec twice then started flashing red green. Then pressed again and voila turned yellow. First time nothing then finally took and did cal ride now all good.

I think what happened (and did so once before in similar setting) is that I was on a group ride with ten others, and stopped for breakfast then all started up again after PP had gone to sleep. When I pressed to start it, it must have gotten multiple confused sensor inputs then essentially froze in unpaired state looking for sensor every 30 sec. Should have a feature for a button press sequence to lock profile unless you WANT to change bikes then a different button press sequence to do that.
Speedyg

Post by Speedyg »

Or an app interface to allow for similar functionality. Shame that the second half of any group ride should be marred by PP getting confused by other sensors trying to pair with it. And annoying when the head unit bleeps every 30 sec as it gets a brief signal from pp
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

If you are doing pairing processes around other bikes then That is the problem.Our instructions say specifically when pairing to be 100 feet away from any other any ant device. It’s impossible to tell what ant device your garmin is picking up and is paired to.
John Hamann