AeroPod CdA

mir

AeroPod CdA

Post by mir »

Hi all,

After the firmware in my Garmin 830 was upgraded to 9.xx (9.00, 9.10, 930) the AeroPod CdA data fields stopped to work. I have tried to uninstall and install the AeroPod CdA again but still nothing shows. Anybody experiences the same?

Powerpod: v3
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: AeroPod CdA

Post by Velocomp »

mir wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:09 am Hi all,

After the firmware in my Garmin 830 was upgraded to 9.xx (9.00, 9.10, 930) the AeroPod CdA data fields stopped to work. I have tried to uninstall and install the AeroPod CdA again but still nothing shows. Anybody experiences the same?

Powerpod: v3
Make sure your Garmin is connecting to AeroPod through ANT+. I don't know anything about the 830 or its FW, but if you are connecting from AP to Garmin through Bluetooth then you won't see CdA data.
John Hamann
mir

Post by mir »

Hi John,
I have verified that the connection is ANT+ but worse is that it seems that connectIQ API has been upgraded on all current Garmin computers so this might be the reason for the AeroPod CdA has stopped working - and not just my Garmin 830 but all current Garmin cycling computers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyJJpb3ijhM
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

mir wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:54 am Hi John,
I have verified that the connection is ANT+ but worse is that it seems that connectIQ API has been upgraded on all current Garmin computers so this might be the reason for the AeroPod CdA has stopped working - and not just my Garmin 830 but all current Garmin cycling computers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyJJpb3ijhM
I suggest you contact Garmin.
John Hamann
mir

Post by mir »

Hi John,
Velocomp wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:01 pm I suggest you contact Garmin.
What do you expect Garmin could do since it is not their app? I expect Garmin would say that I should contact the person who owns the app and ask that person to upgrade the app to meet the expectations of the new API version. The changes needed requires access to the source code so nobody else can fix the issue.

- Michael
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

mir wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:57 am Hi John,
Velocomp wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:01 pm I suggest you contact Garmin.
What do you expect Garmin could do since it is not their app? I expect Garmin would say that I should contact the person who owns the app and ask that person to upgrade the app to meet the expectations of the new API version. The changes needed requires access to the source code so nobody else can fix the issue.

- Michael
We did not change anything in our code. Garmin changed its FW, and you presume that their changes caused our app to stop working.

1) We have had no other reports of our app stopping working, so it's conjecture to conclude that Garmin FW changes introduced incompatibilities. Garmin is a big company, and it seems unlikely that they would make changes that would break ConnectIQ apps.

2) If Garmin changed things such that formerly compatible apps stop working, then it's their responsibility to either fix their FW bugs, or to provide developers with required information.

https://forums.garmin.com/apps-software ... ent-1252=7

3) While it's great to say that we should upgrade the app, the app was actually made by an independent developer, with whom we have no legal or financial arrangement. "We" does not include "him". It's wrong to ask him to spend more time on our app until it's certain that the problem is on our side.

4) I watched the GPS Lama video you linked. I found no statement in his video that says that the new FW is now causing apps to stop working. If you have more information let me know...

The above are the reasons you should be the one to contact Garmin. I have nothing to report to them, since my AeroPod CdA app is working just fine on my 520 (which is running with the latest version of FW), and I don't have access to your particular model. Garmin can certainly check our app and find out if there is a problem with their latest FW.
John Hamann
admiraljkb

Post by admiraljkb »

HI John,

I'm having the same problem with the PowerPod (with the CDA upgrade on it) not working with the new app. The app specifically calls out AeroPod, specifically saying it isn't compatible with the PowerPod. So I'm assuming it's only accepting AP ID's and doesn't know when a CDA upgrade has been applied to a PP?

From manual:
REMEMBER: THOUGH THE APP IN THESE INSTRUCTIONS USES THE “AEROPOD CDA” NAME, YOU WILL GET LIVE CDA DATA ONLY IF YOU ARE USING AN AEROPOD!
-Jeff
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

admiraljkb wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:05 pm HI John,

I'm having the same problem with the PowerPod (with the CDA upgrade on it) not working with the new app. The app specifically calls out AeroPod, specifically saying it isn't compatible with the PowerPod. So I'm assuming it's only accepting AP ID's and doesn't know when a CDA upgrade has been applied to a PP?

From manual:
REMEMBER: THOUGH THE APP IN THESE INSTRUCTIONS USES THE “AEROPOD CDA” NAME, YOU WILL GET LIVE CDA DATA ONLY IF YOU ARE USING AN AEROPOD!
-Jeff
Hmm...I will check with our developer.
John Hamann
admiraljkb

Post by admiraljkb »

Velocomp wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:15 pm
admiraljkb wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:05 pm HI John,

From manual:
-Jeff
Hmm...I will check with our developer.

hey John - Friendly BUMP. :)

Thanks
Jeff
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I did some checking:

1) PP transmits an unchanging CdA number (your profile setting) to the app

2) AP transmits a changing CdA number, assuming you have a DFPM on your bike

If you have installed the AP unlock key and you have a DFPM on your bike, then you should see changing CdA.

I don't understand where your problem is happening.
John Hamann
admiraljkb

Post by admiraljkb »

Here are the keys applied to my PPv3, and have Favero Assioma Pedals attached.
PPv3_keys_applied.png
PPv3_keys_applied.png (22.85 KiB) Viewed 6229 times
Thanks
Jeff
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

admiraljkb wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:46 am Here are the keys applied to my PPv3, and have Favero Assioma Pedals attached.
PPv3_keys_applied.png

Thanks
Jeff
That should work...

Please post .ibr ride file made with this combination.
John Hamann
admiraljkb

Post by admiraljkb »

Thanks. Please see attached.
Attachments
PP3_2022_05_18_0846_16_Miles_HiDef.ibr
(774.7 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

admiraljkb wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:41 pm Thanks. Please see attached.
There are several problems:

1) Your CdA and Crr settings are way off. You have a negative Crr of -0.006, which means that friction is speeding you up, not slowing you down...
I reset Crr to 0.0054, a reasonable value for road bikes

2) Your CdA is way too high, 0.793. I estimated it to be 0.400

Modified profile and ride file are attached. Watts are much closer

3) It looks like you are using profile 4. In profile 4 the maximum HR/CdA value can be seen is Isaac is 0.435 (HR 255). You are pegged at 255, because your CdA was 0.793. For high CdA values, you should use profile 3.

I suggest you load the attached profile into profile 3, then do a ride. Hopefully this will fix things.
Attachments
admiraljkb_corr_2022_05_18_0846_16_Miles_HiDef.ibr
(685.21 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
admiraljkb.ibp
(555 Bytes) Downloaded 147 times
John Hamann
mir

Post by mir »

Velocomp wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:31 am 1) We have had no other reports of our app stopping working, so it's conjecture to conclude that Garmin FW changes introduced incompatibilities. Garmin is a big company, and it seems unlikely that they would make changes that would break ConnectIQ apps.
Just to revive this issue and to proof I am not the only one experience this issue you can go to the review page on garmin connect for the app here: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/f542 ... 3f3504b1e2 and see that at least to other persons is experiencing this issue as well.
Andy17

Post by Andy17 »

I have a Garmin 1040 and it comes up as not compatible device. I would think the new device just needs to be added to the list of devices that are compatible. Do you have any updates on this feature?

thanks Andy
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Andy17 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:19 am I have a Garmin 1040 and it comes up as not compatible device. I would think the new device just needs to be added to the list of devices that are compatible. Do you have any updates on this feature?

thanks Andy
We have contacted the developer but unfortunately he has not yet responded. I will reach out to him again.
John Hamann