PowerPod V3 Calibration-ride

PaulK32

PowerPod V3 Calibration-ride

Post by PaulK32 »

Good afternoon John,

Yesterday a 100km ride and today a 55km ride with my road-bike. PowerPod V3 and FW 9.00. I started a calibration ride because I wanted a new profile for my road-bike with a TT-mount. Since I use the TT-mount I got no correct heartrate data (mostly one value 225 during the whole ride), so after FW 9.00 I wanted to correct this. I used "Better"in the Setup and de count to 50 worked, I stopped and turned the bike. The count to 100 worked and then the "real watts" on the Garmin Edge 1030 Plus were shown.

When finishing the ride I saw on my phone in Garmin Connect that there where changes in the CdA every 5km. On my PC I saw in Isaac that there where several files for the ride; every 5km a new file. On my Garmin Edge 1030 Plus I have a lap for distance 5km, I think this will be of influence.

Today I did the 55km ride and the same happened. The heartrate problem is also not solved. Yesterday during the 100km ride I used the handlebar mount. Today I used the TT-mount.

I have not changed the other profiles for my MTB and the Tacx-trainer, they work fine.

I am sure I am doing something wrong. I did not had this experience before using FW 9.00. Can you give me some help ?

With kind Regards,
Paul
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: PowerPod V3 Calibration-ride

Post by Velocomp »

PaulK32 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:30 am Good afternoon John,

Yesterday a 100km ride and today a 55km ride with my road-bike. PowerPod V3 and FW 9.00. I started a calibration ride because I wanted a new profile for my road-bike with a TT-mount. Since I use the TT-mount I got no correct heartrate data (mostly one value 225 during the whole ride), so after FW 9.00 I wanted to correct this. I used "Better"in the Setup and de count to 50 worked, I stopped and turned the bike. The count to 100 worked and then the "real watts" on the Garmin Edge 1030 Plus were shown.

When finishing the ride I saw on my phone in Garmin Connect that there where changes in the CdA every 5km. On my PC I saw in Isaac that there where several files for the ride; every 5km a new file. On my Garmin Edge 1030 Plus I have a lap for distance 5km, I think this will be of influence.

Today I did the 55km ride and the same happened. The heartrate problem is also not solved. Yesterday during the 100km ride I used the handlebar mount. Today I used the TT-mount.

I have not changed the other profiles for my MTB and the Tacx-trainer, they work fine.

I am sure I am doing something wrong. I did not had this experience before using FW 9.00. Can you give me some help ?

With kind Regards,
Paul
Here's what is happening:

1) your unit is operating in profile 4, which is an Aero profile (apparently, your particular device has the CdA key in it)

2) In profile 4, a separate ride file is created every time the lap button is hit. Your Garmin is sending lap markers automatically, causing your unit to create a new ride file

3) In profile 4, HR readings are replaced by CdA readings. You are seeing a constant HR of 200, which translates into your default CdA of 0.380

The easy fix is to switch to profile 1 or 2. Your ride file problem will go away and you will see HR readings in the ride file.
John Hamann
PaulK32

Re: PowerPod V3 Calibration-ride

Post by PaulK32 »

Thank you John !