Struggling to get reasonable power data

webscience

Struggling to get reasonable power data

Post by webscience »

I recently decided to dig the powerpod v3 out of a box and try setting it up on a new gravel bike. Followed the instructions and completed a calibration ride (calibration file attached although the naming convention looks potentially wrong for a calibration ride despite getting the power count up / turn around signals on the bike computer).

I then did a long bike ride which had some very weird readings - huge spikes at times 1200W+ as well as 0W when also moving (file also attached)

Any advice on what I'm doing wrong?
Attachments
Velocomp_02_27_2022_0655_67_Miles.ibr
(884.11 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
Velocomp_02_26_2022_1639_0_Miles.ibr
(7.97 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Struggling to get reasonable power data

Post by Velocomp »

Your device worked perfectly for the first 10 miles, then went "off the rails".

There are two problems:

1) It looks like your wind port became plugged at the 10 mile mark, and remained plugged for the rest of the ride. Wind readings are way too low. Were you riding in the rain?

2) At the 50 mile mark it looks like your device was bumped, causing watts to go crazy until the recalibration fixed things. Make sure your unit can't rotate on the handlebars.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 8.04.35 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 8.04.35 AM.png (309.32 KiB) Viewed 1296 times
John Hamann
webscience

Post by webscience »

Thanks for the quick response - there was some rain in the first hour or so of the ride which then mostly eased off so strange it remained blocked for the duration of the ride but possible (very humid and lot of drizzle / mist which I guess could have contributed to keeping it blocked).

Not sure what the bump was... I did take a spill going up a very steep bit of single track but I'm sure that was more like 40 miles in vs 50. I'll double check the powerpod hasn't moved but have it attached on a garmin mount with a go-pro fixing beneath and ratcheted up the hex screw pretty good so other than my wipe out I'd be surprised if it moved!

With the blocked windport - is there anything I can do to mitigate this? I saw some of the later models seem to have a 'straw' but not sure thats an option for the v3?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

webscience wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:23 pm Thanks for the quick response - there was some rain in the first hour or so of the ride which then mostly eased off so strange it remained blocked for the duration of the ride but possible (very humid and lot of drizzle / mist which I guess could have contributed to keeping it blocked).

Not sure what the bump was... I did take a spill going up a very steep bit of single track but I'm sure that was more like 40 miles in vs 50. I'll double check the powerpod hasn't moved but have it attached on a garmin mount with a go-pro fixing beneath and ratcheted up the hex screw pretty good so other than my wipe out I'd be surprised if it moved!

With the blocked windport - is there anything I can do to mitigate this? I saw some of the later models seem to have a 'straw' but not sure thats an option for the v3?
Yes, PowerPod V5/V4 use pitot tubes that mitigate the effect of rain/drizzle/moisture.

If you're interested you can trade-in your V3 for a more current model.

https://velocomp.com/collections/trade- ... ower-meter
John Hamann