PP calibration ride issues

RoadWarrior

PP calibration ride issues

Post by RoadWarrior »

HI PP-Team,

I have a couple of general points to my PP.
Built a new road bike and wanted to calibrate the PP fresh. I did:
- factory reset via isaac
- setup the PP via isaac with Profile 1 (weight, height, Hoods, tyres, front mount, rough asphalt, clincher, Premium, 7 Bar, Best accuracy) (this was also on my last bike the same)
- re-connect all sensors and the Edge 830
- turned the PP off by pressing the power 5x
- turned it on to check if yellow light comes up, works, all good
- turned it off

next day turned it on again
- PP started, green light flashing, PP connected, green light steady, then off
- orange light did not turn on for a while
- Power measuring started to climb from 1 upwards instantly when riding to calibration location
- I then saw the light orange at some point, while power counted up to maybe 30w already
- Power continued to climb, by 94w I arrived at the spot I wanted to start
- Turned off PP and turned it on
- same story

i then pressed the power button for 15s and had all sensors reconnected.

tried to do a call ride,
PP wouldn't stop by 50w again

I started another turn and just kept on riding down the road
after the PP reached 100w on the same side of the road he started to show 'live' values.
I came to the end of the road, turned around and I saw values raising up from 50w

interestingly I reached 100w more or less exactly at the spot where I did start, while the 50w I did reach much earlier on the way down.

Now I knew since I did a reset, I might have messed up my previous set config (see settings above)
I then did a few km and went back, stopped and saved the ride and then went back home.

I then checked the calibration and saw the same I already had faced before
to me it seems to have an extremely low Wind scaling. (I did read in the board here a value around 1.5 would be normal, but I also might be wrong)
What I definitely know is that the CRR at the moment is totally wrong (I use Pirelli Pzero, they're around 0.005) but if I go to check the calibration and choose use DFPM data it wants to send my CdA through the roof from 0.389 to 0.494!
while it wants to send the Wind scaling even more down to 0.925 from 1.004

Now interestingly enough, PP of course didn't create a cal file

I get the point that only a new cal ride would give us a calibration file, but then why did the PP not behave properly when I did the ride today?
is this because I turned it on yesterday to check if the orange light comes up and turned it off again?
But also I would like to know why PP, when he uses DFPM data, always wants to increase the CdA and lower the Wind scaling?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: PP calibration ride issues

Post by Velocomp »

It's pretty confusing to try to follow all the steps you took, and where exactly things went off the rail.

Also, I think you are asking multiple questions.

Please post your most recent .ibr file, and please number the questions you want answered.

We will do our best to help.
John Hamann
RoadWarrior

Post by RoadWarrior »

Hi John,

coming back to this one. It's not confusing at all, just in order.

But anyway, it solved itself on 2 ways:

1. When you factory default the PP via isaac it won't behave as lined out in the guides, the device has to be factory defaulted on the device itself to be able to perform a calibration ride.
2. The PP died on me today while being on a ride just after 1.5 years of use. Therefore the issue is solved.

the thread can be closed
jello242

Post by jello242 »

I'm having the same issue. I've been trying to get my powerpod working on my fat bike but the out and back calibration doesn't stop at 50% and there is no calibration file saved. The device is recording power data but it definitely seems low.

Any suggestions?
jello242

Post by jello242 »

Here's the ibr file that includes my attempt to calibrate at the beginning. This is a fat bike ride in snow. The calibration portion was done on the road before heading into the trails. FYI -- any heart rate data contained in the file isn't mine.

Thanks for help figuring this out.
Attachments
Velocomp_12_31_2021_1402_13_Miles.ibr
(527.34 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

jello242 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:32 pm Here's the ibr file that includes my attempt to calibrate at the beginning. This is a fat bike ride in snow. The calibration portion was done on the road before heading into the trails. FYI -- any heart rate data contained in the file isn't mine.

Thanks for help figuring this out.
1) We no longer record calibration files separately

2) Your PP is calibrated; I can tell this because the wind factor is not "preset"

3) It may be the case that your cadence sensor is intermittent; you can see this because there are a LOT of cadence dropouts at the beginning of your ride

4). You have a HR wireless ID in your profile, so it would seem that you did your sensor pairing when you were near someone else who was wearing a HR strap. If this is not yours then I would do a new sensor pairing (and cal ride).
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 12.10.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 12.10.23 PM.png (410.64 KiB) Viewed 2378 times
John Hamann
jello242

Post by jello242 »

Thanks John. Yes, I forgot my HRM and was with someone else who had one on.

I’ll see if I can figure out the cadence drop-outs. Other than that are you saying everything looks good for the fat bike? Is the auto-calibration at the start of every ride taking care of the differing resistance of the snow?

Also, is there a new procedure to perform for out and back calibration since it’s not stopping at 50 or do I just need to keep a close eye on the tick up to 50 so I can turn around at that point?

Thanks again,

Joshua
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

jello242 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:20 pm Thanks John. Yes, I forgot my HRM and was with someone else who had one on.

I’ll see if I can figure out the cadence drop-outs. Other than that are you saying everything looks good for the fat bike? Is the auto-calibration at the start of every ride taking care of the differing resistance of the snow?

Also, is there a new procedure to perform for out and back calibration since it’s not stopping at 50 or do I just need to keep a close eye on the tick up to 50 so I can turn around at that point?

Thanks again,

Joshua
You're traveling quite slowly during your cal ride. That's OK, except that, at the 50W mark, PP thinks your slow speed means you've turned around. It keeps counting up as a consequence.

To get around this problem at the 50W mark turn around anyhow. Your cal ride will complete itself as planned.
John Hamann