Test firmware for power measurement at low speed

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Test firmware for power measurement at low speed

Post by Velocomp »

When riding at low speeds (below 4 mph) PowerPod currently does not measure and transmit watts.

We have new firmware we think solves this problem.

If you have a cadence sensor on your bike and would like to try this firmware please email me at jhamann@velocomp.com
John Hamann
alecs123

Re: Test firmware for power measurement at low speed

Post by alecs123 »

John, I'm in for the testing. I have the file, but a doubt emerged?
When installing this new FW, will I need to recalibrate sensors? or if I just set my profile with the backup, PPod would just work?
I ask because right now I have cadence and speed sensors that are independent (Melian) but I'm upgrading to a Bontrager duo trap this weekend, so I will need to do a recalibration ride.
If such a ride is needed I would much prefer to do only one when the dual sensor arrives...
thanks
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

The beta FW does not require a new cal ride...IF, you have already paired a cadence sensor to your PP.

If you are getting a new sensor, then that will require a new cal ride. You can get the beta FW now, then recalibrate whenever.
John Hamann
alecs123

Post by alecs123 »

Thanks John, I have the beta file... Will put it in PP and report on thursday after a ~100km ride planned.
alecs123

Post by alecs123 »

Hey John and gang... I uploaded the new beta FW and rode my bike for about 80Km in 2 segments (one from home to my LBS and then the propper ride)
I thought to share the files for you experts to analyze and see if they would behave as intended.
My remarks are that this FW seems to be more responsive in cadence changes and the power output reported; it would also seem to me that watts were higher than in the previous version
hope this helps with tweaking and adjusting the features of the powerpod...

Maybe someone would like to see the route in strava
https://www.strava.com/activities/5971237928
Attachments
Velocomp_09_16_2021_0714_6_km.ibr
(77.33 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
Velocomp_09_16_2021_0807_74_km.ibr
(683.89 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Everything is working correctly. Your PP is properly calibrated and there are no power dropouts.

Your lowest bike speed is about 5 mph, still above the threshold for prior firmware.

Assuming that you did not recalibrate after installing this FW, there should be no difference in watts measurement.
John Hamann
alecs123

Post by alecs123 »

I did not recalibate. I just installed the duotrap cadence/speed and Will recalibate tomorrow.
I Will try to go slower for the testing.
alecs123

Post by alecs123 »

John, finally I changed the new sensor, made a new calibration ride and a long split ride yesterday.
The beta firmware seems to be working well. I tried to do a very slow climb, hopefully, I hit the threshold so you can evaluate the data..
By the way, when connected the PP to the Isaac software and transferred the files a notification was shown saying that new IDs were found for the sensors, and if I wanted to update the current profile, that´s nice!
Thanks
Attachments
Velocomp_01_27_2021_0005_34_km.ibr
(534.17 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
Velocomp_01_27_2021_0338_24_km.ibr
(297.02 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

alecs123 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:17 pm John, finally I changed the new sensor, made a new calibration ride and a long split ride yesterday.
The beta firmware seems to be working well. I tried to do a very slow climb, hopefully, I hit the threshold so you can evaluate the data..
By the way, when connected the PP to the Isaac software and transferred the files a notification was shown saying that new IDs were found for the sensors, and if I wanted to update the current profile, that´s nice!
Thanks
You're a speedster; your climbs were done at speeds in excess of 5 mph--way too fast to test the FW! :D

There were a few places where your speed was slow enough, but you weren't pedaling (0 cadence). So, that didn't work either.

We have reports from others that indicates it is working as expected.

All that said, thanks for your helpfulness in testing!
John Hamann
alecs123

Post by alecs123 »

Happy to help… I’m sure this will make and improvement in an already great product!
kurt

Post by kurt »

hello, I am doing thursday a trip of 135 km including a climb up to 22%. I hope that I will drive faster than 5 mph but there is a probability it is lower. I am willing to help. If needed you can contact me on kurt.verheyden@sfr.fr because I am not visiting the forum a lot.

Best regards
Kurt
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

kurt wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:29 pm hello, I am doing thursday a trip of 135 km including a climb up to 22%. I hope that I will drive faster than 5 mph but there is a probability it is lower. I am willing to help. If needed you can contact me on kurt.verheyden@sfr.fr because I am not visiting the forum a lot.

Best regards
Kurt
I just sent you an email with the beta firmware.
John Hamann
kurt

Post by kurt »

Hello, Here is my ride.
For me it looks fine.

I hope this will help you.

Best regards

Kurt
Attachments
Velocomp_09_30_2021_0824_61_km_HiDef.ibr
(1.77 MiB) Downloaded 139 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

kurt wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:51 pm Hello, Here is my ride.
For me it looks fine.

I hope this will help you.

Best regards

Kurt
Looks good! You're getting power readings where, in earlier versions of FW, power would be zero. Thanks for your help :)
John Hamann
doib

Post by doib »

Hello John,
i saw this post now. I remember doing a firmware update last year, but I'm not sure this is it.
This is the firmware installed now on my pp v3, is it updated or not? If not, could you kindly send it to doib@hotmail.it?
Thanks so much, Davide.
Cattura.JPG
Cattura.JPG (33.14 KiB) Viewed 3819 times