higher power going downhill?

cooloutac

higher power going downhill?

Post by cooloutac »

I have a new powerpod lite and I notice it always gives me my highest power going downhill when I believe I am using less effort. Is this Normal? Is my cadence too high when going downhill maybe Should I shift to higher gears or not pedal as much? Did I calibrate or mount it wrong?

Thankyou for your help.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: higher power going downhill?

Post by Velocomp »

Are you pedaling on the downhills?

Cyclists often go into a tuck when going downhill; it makes you go faster :-)

The reason you go faster in a tuck is because your aerodynamic drag (CdA) goes down--you are more efficient against the wind.

However, when you become more aero because of your tucked position, your PPL does not "know" this; it thinks you are still in your less aerodynamic position. So, it interprets your faster bike speed as you pedaling harder, and your watts go up.

If you are changing ride positions on downhills, this is likely the cause of your high watts.
John Hamann
cooloutac

Post by cooloutac »

I'm not changing my position, but I do have a tendency to pedal faster. Today it seemed to be accurate on the hills. So maybe it was a fluke.

I think the issue maybe is that the PPLv3 is calibrating the first 90 seconds? and leaving my house i'm immediately going downhill to the corner. The other issue was that I was using the MTB garmin profile and going half trail and half road so I bet that confuses it also. Today i was only doing the road and using bike profile, and started my trip at the corner of my home and everything seems to be very accurate today going up and down hills even keeping same cadence. SO I will keep that in mind. Hey, can't beat the price for this thing. I'm really liking it.

Is it possible to buy the Pitot tube and use it on my PPLv3 when in the rain?

Thankyou for your reply.

Rich.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Yes, PP recalibrates itself during the first 90 seconds of a ride.

Yes, you can get a pitot tube...

https://velocomp-llc.myshopify.com/coll ... pitot-tube
John Hamann