Calibration Poll

What type of ride is likely to be best suited to use for checking your Power Pod Calibration?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:05 pm

The Initial Calibration ride
40%
A (5 to 15) mile out and (5 to 15) mile back (to the original starting point) over the same rout
60%
A 30-50 mile out and 30-50 mile back over the same route
No votes
Any xx mile ride, where the weather is constantly changing
No votes
A ride in a group where you may be in front as well as in back, or along a busy road
No votes
A 10 to 20 mile ride which may not be the out/back style
No votes
A ride having a wide variety of terrain, where you are in and out of the saddle
No votes

Total votes: 5

lorduintah

Calibration Poll

Post by lorduintah »

I wonder if people want to vote on this and let's see what John's response is after we have a reasonable number of responses.

The real question is how do you continue to verify your calibration?
dmwelk

Re: Calibration Poll

Post by dmwelk »

lorduintah wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:05 pm I wonder if people want to vote on this and let's see what John's response is after we have a reasonable number of responses.

The real question is how do you continue to verify your calibration?
I chose the 5 to 15 mile out and back, I download my weekly rides into Isaac every Sunday evening and verify my calibration by checking wind speed versus the bike speed. My PP has been very consistent after getting the calibration dialed in.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I'll wait for some more responses before chiming in... :-)
John Hamann
Parallelfish

Post by Parallelfish »

I believe that the distance of the calibration ride is a compromise between being long enough to establish a stable power output and short enough to minimize variability in wind conditions. A five to fifteen mile, or longer, out and back is bound to present more variable wind conditions over the time required to complete the ride. In my opinion, not suitable for verifying the calibration.

So, original calibration ride.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Parallelfish wins the prize for best understanding of the purpose and conditions required for a good cal ride.

While it is possible to use longer rides to check things with the "Check Calibration" command, the longer the ride, the more likely it is that wind conditions will change. Also, many longer rides are on roads where there is traffic; traffic causes its own variability of wind.

I have an 11 mile out-and-back route that I do regularly, mostly in the early morning. OCCASIONALLY wind and traffic conditions allow me to check calibration, but more often than not I won't attempt any correction, because the wind data is too variable.

When I look at ride files from forum members, the first thing I do is look at the wind data. If I see lots of headwind/tailwind gusts, or any evidence of drafting, then I am reluctant to change calibration factors.

The reason the Cal Ride is short is primarily because short rides have a lesser chance of changes in wind conditions. Also, shorter rides don't take as much time to complete :-)
John Hamann