Failed my FTP test

alecs123

Failed my FTP test

Post by alecs123 »

Hello gang!
I tried my first real FTP test today and something went wrong...
Basically, I think my error was selecting the path to do it. I was thinking that performing the test on a car-less spot would be ideal, so off I went to the University Campus that is closed due to Covid but it's open for riding... I started the test on the garmin but almost immediately I discovered that having a road with slopes going up and down wouldn't make it, going up is easy to achieve the power range asked to be sustained by the computer, but going down is another story...
So my question is: will I get a better, consistent effort by selecting an all-up hill? I did change the power smoothing to 0 because readings were delayed and it was harder to get to the proper range.
Please share your experience and knowledge, thanks for the advice!
Alejandro
dmwelk

Re: Failed my FTP test

Post by dmwelk »

Alejandro:

In performing a FTP test, best to find some open road with upward gradient. So you are keeping constant power to the pedals.
alecs123

Re: Failed my FTP test

Post by alecs123 »

dmwelk wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:55 pm Alejandro:

In performing a FTP test, best to find some open road with upward gradient. So you are keeping constant power to the pedals.
Thanks, that's what I was figuring out... as I never did an FTP before, I was not aware that a constant power was needed, then the slopes didn't help today...
This week looks pretty packed to me with meetings and work, so might plan for the weekend