Update FTP After Ride

gayeskin

Update FTP After Ride

Post by gayeskin »

Hello John,
I want to update my FTP after the attached ride but want to make sure the number looks good. Based on the ride, I would like to update the new FTP to 244, however, it didn't feel like it. Can you take a look at the file to see if that would be correct?

As always, keep up that great work and thanks in advance.
Attachments
iBike_04_10_2021_1303_36_Miles.ibr
(537.54 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Update FTP After Ride

Post by Velocomp »

Yes, FTP is high, because your Crr is 0.01...the kind of rolling resistance you might get when riding through sand!

It looks like you have a gravel bike. I am guessing you did your FTP test on a normal road, so I adjusted your Crr down to 0.007. Your FTP drops to about 150W.

Corrected ride file and profile attached.
Attachments
gayeskin.ibp
(438 Bytes) Downloaded 124 times
gayeskin_corr.ibr
(572.58 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
John Hamann
Rembert

Post by Rembert »

Hi John

Could you please explain why one would want to change ftp manually after a ride? As I understand it ftp is a synthetic benchmark that assumes you performed at (nearly) 100% for ALL the time during the test period. Only in a time trial race I could imagine this to be the case (and only if there would be no sharp turns making you break or stop pedaling).

Does changing FTP change anything in the ride stats? Only if I would have a diagram of relative power i guess ("performed at xy % of my max. power)". And a diagram like "power stress score" or thelike I haven´t found in isaac yet.

I guess ftp would be important when training with power house app. And for tracking my progress. But why would I tweak asingle ride?

Cheers
Roger
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I don't think we say, anywhere, that you should update FTP after a ride.

The only reason to update FTP would be:

1) Your PP was incorrectly calibrated at the time of the FTP test; you've corrected the calibration and so FTP needs to be corrected

2) You did a new fitness test, the result of getting stronger on the bike, :D , and FTP needs updating.

In the case of the post on this thread, the rider had an incorrect Crr setting, so his reported FTP was too high.
John Hamann
Rembert

Post by Rembert »

Thanks for clarification.