PowerPod v3 Issues - Is It The Button Issue?

macrophotog

PowerPod v3 Issues - Is It The Button Issue?

Post by macrophotog »

I've been having ongoing issues with my PowerPod since receiving it in the middle of August. I feel like I have more rides with issues than not. The past couple weeks I've been more focused on checking the connection on my Wahoo Bolt opposed to assuming I know what's happening based on a display of 0 watts for a period of time mid-ride, or what appears to be the PowerPod shutting off after taking a less than 5 minute break, or the LED doing weird things. I've had to do several recalibration rides after my attempts at re-waking the PowerPod mid-ride set it into recalibration mode and produces a new calibration profile. Last evening's ride is a good example of some recent experiences where everything seems good at the start:

Everything started off great - I woke up my cadence and speed sensors, pressed button on PowerPod, it went solid green light (great!). Then booted up Wahoo Bolt, everything connected, started ride, watts being properly displayed. Several minutes into the ride, even though everything was displaying properly I decided to check LED on PowerPod and realized it was flashing red/green, which it did for the rest of the ride. Multiple times throughout the ride I checked the connection status on my Wahoo Bolt and all was good, and it was still displaying watts so I ignored the flashing lights. . . At some point later in the ride I did attempt to press the button again to get it out of the flashing, but it just kept on flashing. End of ride, came home, hooked PowerPid up to my computer and downloaded NINE ride files from the single ride.

What is going on? I've read a little about the units that have problems with the button - could this be my issue as well?
Attachments
AE2ACF02-86CE-4CA5-84D3-03857F41E229_4_5005_c.jpeg
AE2ACF02-86CE-4CA5-84D3-03857F41E229_4_5005_c.jpeg (68.41 KiB) Viewed 10603 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: PowerPod v3 Issues - Is It The Button Issue?

Post by Velocomp »

Hmm...I am sorry you are having problems.

Please do a hard reset of your unit (press-hold for 12 seconds, until light goes out momentarily, then starts flashing again, then release button).

Hopefully this will fix things.

In the mean time, post one of the ride files. Maybe that will have some clues, too.
John Hamann
macrophotog

Post by macrophotog »

I've done multiple hard resets on the unit over the past several weeks as I've been trying to figure it out. Attached is the first of the nine ride files that PowerPod created from my ride on Monday night. Thank you for helping me figure this out. . .
Attachments
Velocomp_09_28_2020_1736_5_Miles copy.ibr
(66.27 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
macrophotog

Post by macrophotog »

As a side note, I've also had some odd LED activity when connecting it to my computer at times. I've had it flash green for several seconds before turning off, and I've also had it solid green for a few seconds before turning off. None of these possibilities are listed on the POWERPOD_STATUS_LIGHT.pdf document under "PP connected to USB charger". . . ?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

If your bike is close to the computer, the light will show solid green if the speed sensor is active.
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

The ride file you attached shows that bike speed was about 4.5 mph, and dropping, when the ride file terminated.

PP will shut itself off when bike speed is below about 4 mph.

Are you going slow when the files terminate?
John Hamann
macrophotog

Post by macrophotog »

As far as the lights when connected to my computer - my bike is in the garage and my computer and powerpod are at the other end of our house.

As far as the ride file showing such slow speed - I don't know why it would show I was going that slow, other than for a couple seconds when slowing to a stop to regroup. This was a fairly fast ride for the amount of climbing - according to Strava and Wahoo this was 18.16miles with 1,394 feet of climbing and averaged 15.0mph. Even the big climb segment I averaged 7.4mph.

However, if I am reading the file correctly, the powerpod ceased this ride at 5.63 miles before creating the next file of 9 total for one ride. According to the Strava segment, I was at an 8% incline at that moment, so could I have been at 4.5 mph for a couple minutes? Possibly, but I monitor my climbs pretty closely and rarely go below 6.0mph climb sections with up to 12%+. So even if I was at 4.5mph for 1-2 minutes, this would cause the powerpod to turn off? I thought the powerpod only turned off after 20 minutes of inactivity?
Last edited by macrophotog on Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
macrophotog

Post by macrophotog »

Ok, so I just dug deeper into my Strava file and analyzed the segment I discussed above - when the powerpod was reading my speed dropping below 4.5mph and shut off at 5.63 miles, I was actually doing between 7.8 and 9.5mph.

Also in digging into the Strava file further, I have watts being reported the entire climb segment from 5.5 miles to 7.3 miles of my 18 mile ride so it was closing out one ride file and starting another while I was still moving and it was still reporting watts to my head unit?
macrophotog

Post by macrophotog »

Any more ideas on this?

Why was the ride file terminating and starting a new ride file while in the middle of a ride?

Why did the PowerPod create 9 ride files for one ride?

Why is the PowerPod flashing red/green during the entire ride even though connected properly?

I've done multiple hard resets to this unit over the past several weeks and continue to have the issues above with many of my rides.

HELP!
macrophotog

Post by macrophotog »

Just connected my PowerPod to my computer again (this time at the office) and it started flashing green light. My bike and all sensors are 7 miles away from me. What gives?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

When you connected PP to your computer, it turned on. This is normal.

Flashing green means your unit is searching for your speed sensor. Obviously it won't find it.
John Hamann
macrophotog

Post by macrophotog »

Ok, thanks.

Any thoughts on the other issues/questions in the post right before that one?

I'll be giving it a shot again this weekend, but not hopeful since I've done hard resets multiple times over a period of weeks and continue to have odd activity while riding.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

macrophotog wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:25 pm Any more ideas on this?

Why was the ride file terminating and starting a new ride file while in the middle of a ride?

Why did the PowerPod create 9 ride files for one ride?

Why is the PowerPod flashing red/green during the entire ride even though connected properly?

I've done multiple hard resets to this unit over the past several weeks and continue to have the issues above with many of my rides.

HELP!
1) Make sure your PP is charged. It will automatically terminate ride files when battery is low (this prevents possible loss of the entire ride file)

2) Flashing red/green means the device needs a cal ride. See instructions

3) If you release the button prior to press-hold for full 12 seconds, you will put PP into calibration mode. This would cause flashing red/green light.

4) Hard resets are not recommended unless your unit is fully non-functional in the field.
John Hamann
macrophotog

Post by macrophotog »

Velocomp wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:00 pm
1) Make sure your PP is charged. It will automatically terminate ride files when battery is low (this prevents possible loss of the entire ride file)

2) Flashing red/green means the device needs a cal ride. See instructions

3) If you release the button prior to press-hold for full 12 seconds, you will put PP into calibration mode. This would cause flashing red/green light.

4) Hard resets are not recommended unless your unit is fully non-functional in the field.
1. PP has been fully charged before each ride.

2. Yes, I understand that according to the POWERPOD_STATUS_LIGHT.pdf. But why did it start up perfectly for my ride (awake sensors, push button, solid green, turn on Wahoo Bolt, start ride, report watts), then at some point into the ride change to flashing green/red and continue like that for the rest of the ride? And why did it break my ride into 9 different ride files?

3. / 4. I have not done a hard reset while in the field. Have only done a hard reset after returning home from rides where there were obvious problems like this last ride.
macrophotog

Post by macrophotog »

This weekend, my PowerPod worked well in terms of one ride file per actual ride, and no blinking lights during the ride. . . BUT, on my first ride of the weekend, it would not respond to button press to start things up (YES, it was fully charged). I tried 5 times pressing the button and nothing - no LEDS, no connection to my Wahoo Bolt. It wasn't until after I pressed and held the button for about 7 seconds did it seem to come to life and basically went to immediate solid green since the sensors were all up and running.

Can someone tell me why I continue to have issues that apparently lead back to the button?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Are you downloading rides into Isaac?

It sounds like your unit needed a hard reset. I don't know why...
John Hamann
macrophotog

Post by macrophotog »

Yes, I am downloading files into Isaac and delete the files on the PowerPod upon download.

But why does it constantly need a hard reset? If you read back through the thread, it appears that I am actually doing a bunch of hard resets. And prior to this ride I did a hard reset then charged it the night before.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I have three units on my bike and have not done a hard reset in 6 months.

I don't know what buttons you are pushing, or when, or why...

Please be very detailed in describing exactly what you are doing.
John Hamann
macrophotog

Post by macrophotog »

John,

This is getting a just a tad bit frustrating. I think this thread shows a pretty good amount of detail of the issues I've been having. I am following the instructions as well. I'm pretty sure I've got the POWERPOD_STATUS_Light.pdf committed to memory, and that is no small feat.

After each ride I remove the PowerPod from my bike and then connect the PowerPod to my Mac via usb to download ride files, erase files, and charge the unit.

After charging is complete, I unplug the PowerPod from the usb cable awaiting my next ride.

When my next ride happens, I reconnect the PowerPod to my K-Edge out Front Combo mount that is securely tightened and I properly ensure the tightness of the PowerPod in said mount exactly according to instructions.

And here is where anything can happen following all start up protocols/instructions (AND in all cases the unit was fully charged):
1. when pressing the on button to start the PowerPod NOTHING happens! Then the following different situations have occurred after these events
a. Try again five times and nothing so do a hard reset in the field
b. press and hold for 7ish seconds and everything seems to work fine
c. press and hold for about 5-7ish seconds and it goes into calibration mode
2. when pressing the on button everything starts up properly, however in the middle of the ride the unit ceases reporting watts for no apparent reason
3. when pressing the on button everything starts up properly, however in the middle of the ride after only a 5 minute break (NOT 20 minutes) the unit ceases reporting watts and needs to be restarted
4 when pressing the on button everything starts up properly, however in the middle of the ride the unit on it's own starts flashing red/green but is still reporting watts. However at the end of the ride has 9 ride files instead of 1.

When I've experienced any of the above issues, I've done hard resets back at home.

Hopefully the above will be helpful. I'd love to love this thing. Like I said before, when it works, it works and I'm a believer. But I have FAR less successful outings than successful ones.
macrophotog

Post by macrophotog »

Velocomp wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:11 pm

Wow - 2 rides in a row with NO issues. That is a record so far. Let's hope it keeps going.

John - would love to hear your thoughts on what has been going on with the unit and why it might be working now. I have not done anything different. I just want to make sure it continues to work and that I don't have a defective unit. Not sure if you read my detailed message above like you asked for. . .
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

macrophotog wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:53 pm
Velocomp wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:11 pm

Wow - 2 rides in a row with NO issues. That is a record so far. Let's hope it keeps going.

John - would love to hear your thoughts on what has been going on with the unit and why it might be working now. I have not done anything different. I just want to make sure it continues to work and that I don't have a defective unit. Not sure if you read my detailed message above like you asked for. . .
Well, I have over 1,000 rides with no issues... :-)

Believe me, when users report problems it gives us LOTS of heartaches...but we can't fix problem until we can reproduce it.

Hard-reset is a MAJOR intervention; it's like applying "paddles" to your heart if it skips a beat. The fix works, but it is hard-core.

I would keep going, trying to avoid hard resets. Make sure your sensors are awake. Everything should just work, just as you are reporting!
John Hamann
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

When I first had my PP I had to figure out how to depress the button. It can be a bit tricky and I suspect that proper button action is not exactly the same - but close - for each unit - meaning some are easier to depress than others - or is ti just a "fat finger" effect?

But that took just a few attempts to figure out where to place a finger to get the desired response. Realizing the one click or five are short depressions is a factor.

I think I may have done a HARD reset twice since then. And I only do 5 clicks to shut the PP off.

After reading over this thread, there seem to be some owners who have lost patience and get a bit "CLICK" happy and this just turns into frustration.

But to ask one question about clicks - one click turns the unit on, five turns it off and the the length of time depressing can send the PP into re-calibration or a HARD reset. DO any other sequence of pressing the button lead to any other functions of operation?
nickbd

Post by nickbd »

Just wondered whether the issue where the power would show 0W during a ride and then the PPV3 would have to be restarted. I've had similar issues with mine where either it will show 0W when I start a ride and so press 5 times to shut down and then one to restart. Sometimes works. Otherwise a soft reset. Then after showing the power OK for a while it will then show 0W and then just stay there. Today after 5 presses to shut down and then one to start it showed random powers over 2000 and then 0 but then finally worked OK for the next hour. I have to keep it connected to an external Li battery because the battery doesn't seem to either charge or hold charge.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

nickbd wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:10 pm Just wondered whether the issue where the power would show 0W during a ride and then the PPV3 would have to be restarted. I've had similar issues with mine where either it will show 0W when I start a ride and so press 5 times to shut down and then one to restart. Sometimes works. Otherwise a soft reset. Then after showing the power OK for a while it will then show 0W and then just stay there. Today after 5 presses to shut down and then one to start it showed random powers over 2000 and then 0 but then finally worked OK for the next hour. I have to keep it connected to an external Li battery because the battery doesn't seem to either charge or hold charge.
Please post a ride file to help us figure out what is going on.
John Hamann