k-edge combo mount

mir

k-edge combo mount

Post by mir »

Hi all,
Recently bought a k-edge combo mount with a sad result since the gopro mount at the buttom is to short so I am not able to mount the powerpod on it. So now you are warned.
Kcblair

Re: k-edge combo mount

Post by Kcblair »

I've purchased 3 different brands of K Edge mounts with Gropro mounts and the PP fits them all. KB
mir

Post by mir »

Kcblair wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:11 pm I've purchased 3 different brands of K Edge mounts with Gropro mounts and the PP fits them all. KB
Strange :?: The legs of the mount on my PP is to long for the k-edge or the legs on the k-edge is to short.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

mir wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:21 pm
Kcblair wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:11 pm I've purchased 3 different brands of K Edge mounts with Gropro mounts and the PP fits them all. KB
Strange :?: The legs of the mount on my PP is to long for the k-edge or the legs on the k-edge is to short.
Post some photos...
John Hamann
mir

Post by mir »

Velocomp wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:03 pm Post some photos...
Here they are. As can be seen the mount is ap 2mm shorter than the longest leg on PP. I was able, using force, to attach it but the missing 2mm means that the pitu tube points up and cannot be put in a down wards direction.

K-edge mount in question: https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/k-e ... 00c-574022
Attachments
PP legs
PP legs
IMG_20200912_133839.jpg (131.1 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
k-edge mount
k-edge mount
IMG_20200912_133745.jpg (77.11 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We've had the same GoPro mount design for 5 years now. We have had zero problems with any mounts...ours or others.

We used to buy mounts from K-Edge, and their GoPro attachment was from machined aluminum. Their original mounts worked just fine.

On the link you provide the K-Edge mount is said to be "new". On this new mount it looks to me like they changed the design of their "head" from machined aluminum to a plastic part (which in itself is OK) but apparently they changed its dimensions. Changing internal dimensions is not OK.

We have put notices up on our webstore about this particular combo mount.
John Hamann
mir

Post by mir »

It's not a serious problem to me since I have bought a gopro to Cateye adapter (https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cat ... rew-882968) and moved my front light to the K-edge mount and attached the standard PP gopro adapter on my handlebar where the Cateye was before. The light is then centered which is a win.

A question: If I make a new O&B ride with the PP attached the new place on the handlebar will PP work as expected even not attached directly centered on the stem?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

mir wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:27 am It's not a serious problem to me since I have bought a gopro to Cateye adapter (https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cat ... rew-882968) and moved my front light to the K-edge mount and attached the standard PP gopro adapter on my handlebar where the Cateye was before. The light is then centered which is a win.

A question: If I make a new O&B ride with the PP attached the new place on the handlebar will PP work as expected even not attached directly centered on the stem?
Yes, even if not mounted directly centered, after cal ride it will work just fine.
John Hamann
mir

Post by mir »

Velocomp wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:41 am Yes, even if not mounted directly centered, after cal ride it will work just fine.
Nice :D Thank's.
Sockettrousers

Post by Sockettrousers »

Just so everyone knows, I also bought a knock off k-edge mount from some no-name amazon brand (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07RLXN7F9) it has the same problem.

Is the flat edge on the PP to ensure it's mounted consistently - i.e. could I file it off so that the PP fits this mount or a real k-edge combo?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Yes, you can file it down if needed.

I'll bet K-Edge is buying the knock-off head...
John Hamann
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

I have a Specialized mount designed for the top end bikes - S-WORKS - in it they have mounts for many of the bike computers as well as Go-Pro cameras.

You assemble the top and bottom yourself for whatever combo. I used the Garmin top and the Go-Pro underneath - in a similar fashion as Velocomp provides.

What I found for the Go-Pro - you can orient this or 180 degrees. - in one orientation the spacing is too narrow for the PowerPod/AeroPod to fit - flip it 180 degrees and it slides in snugly.

So what i think has happened is the non-symmetric spacing is causing much of the problems with these (or at least some) where the solution being taken is to file down or BREAK one of the fingers.

Before you resort to that rotate the fixture 180 degrees and try that as a solution.