Calculate smooth vs rough surface distribution

albafar

Calculate smooth vs rough surface distribution

Post by albafar »

The other day when I was riding my gravel bike on a combined asphalt and gravel route I got thinking if it in a future software update would be possible to have PowerPod/Isaac calculate and show the approx. distribution of smooth vs rough surface. If you combined rides it is always difficult to guesstimate it... Would available ride data allow for such a feauture?
kdx200

Re: Calculate smooth vs rough surface distribution

Post by kdx200 »

Also was thinking in the watts showed in your rides..... is not the same riding in the gravel than the perfect tarmac.... so, what do you do in your setup today?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

albafar wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:35 am The other day when I was riding my gravel bike on a combined asphalt and gravel route I got thinking if it in a future software update would be possible to have PowerPod/Isaac calculate and show the approx. distribution of smooth vs rough surface. If you combined rides it is always difficult to guesstimate it... Would available ride data allow for such a feauture?
PP includes a "Dynamic Coefficient of Rolling Resistance" (DCRR) that adjusts rolling resistance based on measured road roughness.
John Hamann
albafar

Post by albafar »

That is exactly what I'm hinting at John. The feature I'm thinking of would use the data from the DCRR to calculate the split between smooth and rough surface. When I get home from a gravel ride I would like to know how many km I rode on paved roads and how many on non-paved. If the road roughness is already being captured by PP then why not use it to calculate such a metric?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

albafar wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:26 am That is exactly what I'm hinting at John. The feature I'm thinking of would use the data from the DCRR to calculate the split between smooth and rough surface. When I get home from a gravel ride I would like to know how many km I rode on paved roads and how many on non-paved. If the road roughness is already being captured by PP then why not use it to calculate such a metric?
Unfortunately, this would involve rewriting our firmware, to add data fields to the ride file with the DCRR data, and also Isaac, to read and display the data. This is not a simple task.
John Hamann