Better / best /profile, O&B and HRM

mjibrown

Better / best /profile, O&B and HRM

Post by mjibrown »

Hello,

I recently bought a PowerPod V2 and am learning my way around the product (but am seeing some nice results).

For the first few rides I had "best accuracy" set, did O&B ride calibration at the start of my rides and was happy with the subsequent results on the road. I thought I'd switched to "better accuracy" without the need for O&B, but at the start of my next ride it seemed an O&B was still required (otherwise I got no power). Perhaps I made a mistake when configuring with Isaac.

If I want good accuracy without the O&B ride, is it preferable to run with "better accuracy" or use an existing profile with a good calibration ride? I'd think the latter but perhaps I'm mistaken.

Is there anything that will cause PowerPod V2 to revert to requiring O&B ride (even if "best accuracy" isn't set)? For example, a certain button sequence on the PowerPod? One thing I noticed when looking at my data on Isaac for one ride was I accidentally paired to a riding companion's HRM instead of my own. Could that have caused the PowerPod to seek a new calibration (given the change in Wireless ID from my HRM to my companion's)?

Cheers,

Michael.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Better / best /profile, O&B and HRM

Post by Velocomp »

1) "better/best" is an Isaac-related option we offered in previous generations of products.

With the introduction of V2 units, we decided to simplify the process by making "best" an automatic, firmware-driven selection. No matter which option you select in Isaac, your PP will default to Best (O&B ride).

So, any time you do a sensor pairing, or use Isaac Setup Wizard, you will need to do an O&B ride.
John Hamann
mjibrown

Post by mjibrown »

Thanks for the prompt answer. I now have an obvious follow-up question.

One cannot always do a nice calibration at the start of each ride, so to what extent can VeloPod V2 improve the calibration during regular riding? The old DC rainmaker review mentions ~8 minutes, but does that apply to the VeloPod V2? And does any improvement in the calibration impact the numbers sent to my Garmin Edge?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Calibration is a one-time procedure. You don't need to do a calibration prior to every ride.

Ray's PowerPod review is about 5 years old now. A lot has happened in the past 5 years...including the creation of a much shorter O&B ride (about 3 minutes each way).

Calibrated power numbers are what are sent to your Garmin.
John Hamann
mjibrown

Post by mjibrown »

My apologies - I think I must be missing a basic point somewhere.

I can setup my bike, switch PowerPod on, hold the button for 4 sec to pair up the sensors (speed, cadence, HRM) and do an O&B for calibration. (When I've done this properly I've been happy with the results.)

After a long rest stop (get the second coffee, why not?) or for my next ride, can I just switch on and it should have the pairings and parameters from the previous ride? Or do I need to hold the button for 4 sec to pair sensors and do an O&B?

If I connect to Isaac after a ride (or even a charger) does that change VeloPod behaviour for the next ride?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

After stopping for a long break, simply click the PP button to turn it back on. Do NOT press-hold for 4 seconds; if you do, you will force a new calibration ride.

When you click the button to awaken PP, your stored calibration and pairing settings are used.

When you connect PP to Isaac, the stored calibration and pairing settings are unaffected.
John Hamann