Calibration check

Deand

Calibration check

Post by Deand »

Hi, I am just setting up my powerpod v3, can you please check the attached calibration file please, I have also attached a recent ride. I have used powermeter for the last few years (Garmin vector pedals and SRM cranks) I have found that the average watts is very low on the powerpod compared to my other powermeters. When I get back from a ride the nominal power is closer to what I would expect, but there is a much bigger gap between average power and NP. I am think this is due to the rolling resistance being wrong as when I pedaling on a flatish of slightly downhill road the watts are low compared to the how hard I am pedaling, on uphills or in accerlation it apears to be correct. I dont want to manualy change the figures in case that makes the rest of the calibration wrong.
Secondly when I try to use the calibration check it want to alter my weight to be incorect.
Many thanks

Dean
Attachments
Velocomp_06_14_2020_0755_40_Miles.ibr
(593.2 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
Velocomp_06_13_2020_2009_1_Miles_CalRide.ibr
(12.37 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Calibration check

Post by Velocomp »

What is the correct total weight of you and your bike? How tall are you?
John Hamann
Deand

Post by Deand »

Hi John, I am 5ft 7 and 143 pounds plus say 16 pounds for my bike
Deand

Post by Deand »

Hi John, Sorry to chase but do you have any suggestions please as I am keen to start using my Powerpod
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Sorry, I missed your latest post...

Your ride file and calibration are fine. Your rolling resistance is fine.

I think you may have a problem with your cadence sensor. For example, at mile 7.4 you are climbing a steep hill but cadence goes to zero even while you are climbing--not possible! This drops watts to zero and would drop your average watts.

Your NP is higher than average watts because you have a lot of places in your ride file where you are coasting (cadence zero). NP compensates for the effect of coasting.
John Hamann
Deand

Post by Deand »

Hi John, No problem I appreciate how busy you must be. Thanks for the advice, I will check my cadence sensor, its a reading I only glance at occasionaly so there could easily be times durring a ride when its not showning cadence and I wouldn't notice. I have taken the time since my post to read the instructions for the Isaac software and have to say I am very impressed with amount of data collected by the Powerpod and by the analysis you can then do on the Isaac. Having used Garmin vector S3 pedals for the last few years and an SRM crank set, (the Garmin pedals are great when they work although they have been back to Garmin several times for various issues, I am waiting for Garmin to fix them at the moment, the SRM cranks have been good although they need to be sent back as I get dropouts and random power readings which is caused by a known battery issue) I am looking forward to using the Powerpod to see how different it feels to use, as opposed to the DFPM types that I am used to. Once I get either my Garmins or SRM cranks working I will do a calibration check just out of interest. Many thanks Dean