Garmin IQ apps - data fields for PP ?

lorduintah

Garmin IQ apps - data fields for PP ?

Post by lorduintah »

The last time I checked on any available data screen app for the Garmin bike computers, on the 2X2 Aeropod data screen was available. You were waiting on a definitive set of standards from Garmin regarding the output from the Velocomp power meters and how those fit into the Garmin data stream.

So up to this point we have had the 2X2 data fields of Cda, wind, slope, and time advantage.

With the PowerPod only the slope and wind data are relevant and I would like to see a setup that has only these two fields, or the ability to set up my own screen while identifying these two data fields with the same flexibility as many other parameters that Garmin offers.

Where do you stand with having the appropriate capabilities or do we still have to wait on Garmin to issue the complete standard?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Garmin IQ apps - data fields for PP ?

Post by Velocomp »

We have heard nothing from Garmin.

At this point it makes no sense to create another, customized version of our ConnectIQ app. The day Garmin releases the profile we will migrate over to it.
John Hamann
syll1914

Post by syll1914 »

lorduintah wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:04 am The last time I checked on any available data screen app for the Garmin bike computers, on the 2X2 Aeropod data screen was available. You were waiting on a definitive set of standards from Garmin regarding the output from the Velocomp power meters and how those fit into the Garmin data stream.

So up to this point we have had the 2X2 data fields of Cda, wind, slope, and time advantage.

With the PowerPod only the slope and wind data are relevant and I would like to see a setup that has only these two fields, or the ability to set up my own screen while identifying these two data fields with the same flexibility as many other parameters that Garmin offers.

Where do you stand with having the appropriate capabilities or do we still have to wait on Garmin to issue the complete standard?
will be nice to have this, I use also aeropod like a powermeter so I want to see just wind, slope and power and if we waiting for garmin, I think they don t care about this
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

To be fair, our existing ConnectIQ app provides our power meter owners current wind, slope, and power information. The connectIQ app also shows (fixed) values of CdA and time advantage.

It is not a good use of our development resources to write another app that just deletes the CdA and Time Advantage fields.
John Hamann
mir

Post by mir »

Velocomp wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:16 pm It is not a good use of our development resources to write another app that just deletes the CdA and Time Advantage fields.
I can agree to that statement but one bug should be fixed. As of now the app only shows values using Imperial system used mostly in the US while most other countries uses the metric system. People, like me, who is not familiar with the Imperial system find it burdensome to be required to convert the numbers read to metric while concentrating on riding.
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

So John -

What can we as PP/AP users do to help persuade Garmin to get their %%%%% together? We are owners of both your device product as well as theirs. You would think that if we could send a series of "suggestions" to Garmin they might do something. Admittedly they have their own power measurement device, but there are a lot of other devices that get support just by virtue of the ANT protocol.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

This is a tricky one to answer, but I will do my best:

The way Garmin creates new profiles is through "Working Groups". There is a working group for an aero profile. A bunch of startup companies are participating in this working group. However, the two companies who are actually shipping aero sensor products, Velocomp and Notio, are not members of this group; there are important commercial reasons for this.

The aero group has been meeting for about 18 months now, and to the best of my knowledge they still have not completed their work. Why has the profile work not been completed? Perhaps a big reason is that the companies participating do not yet make any products.

But let's suppose that an aero profile is issued tomorrow by Garmin. Does that mean that you'll be able to see our Wind and Slope on your Garmin? No, and here's why:

1) The aero profile tells aero sensor device manufacturers (such as us and Notio) how to transmit wind/slope/CdA data. This is something we, Velocomp, implement through a firmware update. The updated firmware would broadcast wind/slope/CdA data in the agreed-to format stipulated in the profile (as opposed to the proprietary format we are using right now with our ConnectIQ app).

2) The profile tells bike computer manufacturers (such as Garmin and Wahoo) how to receive and display wind/slope/CdA data. Bike computer manufacturers would ALSO change their firmware to receive and display this new data. If and when bike computer companies will update their firmware to implement aero screen displays is completely out of our control.

In other words, the existence of an aero profile is meaningless unless the bike computer companies change their firmware too.

So far I have been 100% unable to get a straight answer from Garmin regarding if, and when, they will implement their aero profile on their bike computer products. This means that, in the mean time, if we were to implement their aero profile, our data would no longer be visible on our ConnectIQ app (unless we modify our app).

Thus, it seems to me that we should wait for Garmin to implement the aero profile on their products; after they do it we would then implement on our firmware.

I guess the pressure you can apply to Garmin is to tell them that there are thousands and thousands of Velocomp products out there transmitting wind and slope data RIGHT NOW. When they finally finish their aero profile work, and then implement it on their bike computers, we will issue a firmware update that uses their new standard profile.
John Hamann
Garf

Post by Garf »

Velocomp wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:16 pm To be fair, our existing ConnectIQ app provides our power meter owners current wind, slope, and power information. The connectIQ app also shows (fixed) values of CdA and time advantage.

It is not a good use of our development resources to write another app that just deletes the CdA and Time Advantage fields.
I have been 100% unable to get a straight answer from Garmin regarding if, and when, they will implement
So uhm, if there's no clarity from Garmin, is it really such a waste to improve the current experience for PowerPod users?

Instead of making a separate version, can't you add a setting to disable the extra fields (and use metric!). Or does that not work due to how the Connect IQ field is installed?

Right now wind and grade data would be very cool to have, but with 2 "dead" fields attached to it, it can hardly go on the main page of the Garmin units (because you lose 2 useful field for 2 dead fields!), and has to be shifted to some extra page. That's rather sad.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Our app developer developed the ConnectIQ about 3 years ago. Since then Apple has issued at least 3 revisions of Mac OS.

The last time he "upgraded" his MacOS, all of his prior software crashed. It took him a few weeks to get everything working again.

At this point to make any modifications to the ConnectIQ app requires our developer to upgrade his OS. He does not want to do this, and frankly I don't blame him. It is too risky.

If you know someone who is proficient with ConnectIQ apps let me know.
John Hamann
Garf

Post by Garf »

Assuming that the current implementation of the field just displays the ANT values and doesn't contain any secret sauce, have you considered open sourcing it?

Or is the problem you want to avoid the current (not-yet-standardized) format from spreading by making it public.

I'm fairly sure I can manage to delete half the code and add the conversion to metric.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Garf wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:34 am
I'm fairly sure I can manage to delete half the code and add the conversion to metric.
Please email me at jhamann@velocomp.com and we will continue the discussion.
John Hamann