Pitot Tube

SilasGreenback

Pitot Tube

Post by SilasGreenback »

One thing we get a lot of in Blighty is rain. Was planning on using my powerpod V3 year round so thought about getting a pitot tube. $8.99. Sweet. Cheap as chips. But shipping to UK.....about $65!!! WTF....!! Could nearly have bought the aeropod by the time i factor that in.

So, anyone made a DIY tube? Only need it for the sake of stopping the sensor getting blocked with rain water. If you have....dimensions....success....getting it to stay in place?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Pitot Tube

Post by Velocomp »

email technicalsupport@velocomp.com

Tom will get it shipped for MUCH less than that!
John Hamann
SilasGreenback

Post by SilasGreenback »

:D cracking. Thanks
spangelsaregreat

Post by spangelsaregreat »

Unfortunately I would say that the Pitot tube does not make a difference to the blocking of the wind port in the rain. There is maybe a slightly better performance when the roads are wet but its not raining. I would say I generally get about 20 minutes riding before the wind port gets blocked but this can vary depending on the type and amount of rain. Occasionally get the odd ride in the rain where its doesn't get blocked but it did that with the V2 PowerPod I had before.

It does help with odd readings in crosswinds and removes issues with cables etc blocking the wind port. I have tried all the suggested tricks like pointing the PowerPod downwards etc but it makes little difference.

I have just learned to live with this issue, as soon as the port gets blocked I just turn the PowerPod off and ride on heart rate. It is an annoying limitation but the cost and ability to easily move it between bikes out weighs this issue in my opinion.
mir

Post by mir »

SilasGreenback wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:57 am :D cracking. Thanks
Have it sent by Royal Mail is about £5-6
fwbmorison

Post by fwbmorison »

It does help with odd readings in crosswinds and removes issues with cables etc blocking the wind port.
Are these the only reasons to get a pitot tube for a PP v3?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We designed PP to work with, or without, the pitot tube. Calibrations are a bit different and performance is improved in the conditions indicated.
John Hamann