Display realtime watts on iPhone 8

stamponthepeddle

Display realtime watts on iPhone 8

Post by stamponthepeddle »

Hi, I have a PowerPod v2 with the ant+ BLE connectivity. It connects well into my Garmin watch, along with the Garmin cadence and speed sensors, however this setup doesn't allow me to view the realtime power (without riskily looking at my wrist).

Rather than splash out for a Garmin Edge (or similar) I'd rather make use of my iPhone 8 with an app displaying the power (and maybe other stats) which I can also use for navigation.

The Velocomp website is pushing the PowerHouse app, but I'm not sure if this is what I am after or if anyone has any experience of similar apps?

Thanks in advance :D
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Display realtime watts on iPhone 8

Post by Velocomp »

We never try to "push" anything, but we do try to inform... :-)

PH app should work on your iPhone 8. You might also try other apps such as Wahoo Fitness.
John Hamann
stamponthepeddle

Sorry, maybe 'push' was the wrong word :)

The PH app isn't free on iOS, and the reviews are pretty slating - so maybe I'll give the Wahoo app a go as it seems mad to fork out for a Garmin Edge when I've got a more powerful and better display with me already.

Would be interested to hear how other people do this (with the PH app or other connected into a PowerPod)?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

stamponthepeddle wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:10 pm Sorry, maybe 'push' was the wrong word :)

The PH app isn't free on iOS, and the reviews are pretty slating - so maybe I'll give the Wahoo app a go as it seems mad to fork out for a Garmin Edge when I've got a more powerful and better display with me already.

Would be interested to hear how other people do this (with the PH app or other connected into a PowerPod)?
The PH app is free. If you want to purchase an optional 6-week power training plan that is not free.
John Hamann
stamponthepeddle

Strange. If I click the link (on the Velocomp - Support site) then it takes me to the App Store - where is states it costs $0.99

Not much to pay, but not free. Either way it’s not much to spend on a punt to allow me to use my phone as a cycling computer!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

stamponthepeddle wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:32 am Strange. If I click the link (on the Velocomp - Support site) then it takes me to the App Store - where is states it costs $0.99

Not much to pay, but not free. Either way it’s not much to spend on a punt to allow me to use my phone as a cycling computer!
Oops, my bad. I forgot we charge $0.99.
John Hamann
Teaman

Post by Teaman »

Hi.
I use my iPhone 7 with the powerhouse app whilst the pp is in trainer mode (using lezyne super enhanced gps on bike)
And the two pics included here are of trainer mode and ride mode.

In my honest opinion.

I used Zwift and Bkool trial periods during early April lockdown and since getting the PP. I love the PP app.

I’ll be upgrading to full version soon as at least I feel I’m getting something out of it rather than paying the monthly cost for zwift
AB725DDC-6EF0-49BF-BFFD-5640A4433EA6.png
AB725DDC-6EF0-49BF-BFFD-5640A4433EA6.png (164.2 KiB) Viewed 7271 times
0F3C8F49-FB1C-43A6-B7BB-9791CA03A7A4.png
0F3C8F49-FB1C-43A6-B7BB-9791CA03A7A4.png (282.58 KiB) Viewed 7271 times
stamponthepeddle

Interesting, thanks Teaman. I will look to get a turbo trainer in the winter so its good to know that I can use the same app indoors and out.