Powerpod BLE memory loss?

eight10man

Powerpod BLE memory loss?

Post by eight10man »

Hi all,

My PowerPod BLE seems to lose calibration each time I go out riding for about the last week.

When I go out for a ride I first get ridiculously high power readings (ie. ~700W when soft pedaling, whilst my FTP is only 195). Long-pressing the PowerPod's button for 4 seconds to reconnect the Speed & Cadence Sensor, and immediately doing a short calibration solves the issue for the remainder of the ride. But the calibration goes from 1W all the way to 100W, without halting at 50W to turn around (I do turn around as close to the 50W mark..).

If I use ISAAC to "Set Up Device.." again to try a fresh start and fresh calibration ride, as soon as I start riding the wattage starts going up from 1W to 100W. Before it stayed blank/0 until I got to the place I wanted to perform the out and back calibration, and it would halt at 50W to allow me to turn around. Not anymore..

Also, after the ride ISAAC says no new rides are stored on the internal memory.

Does this sound familiar to anybody?
What's going on..?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Powerpod BLE memory loss?

Post by Velocomp »

Here's what is happening:

1) When you first start a new ride, it can take up to 90 seconds for PP to recalibrate itself. While recalibrating the watts can be high (or low). The instructions say this...

2) You are reacting to the problem by the 4 second press, which re-pairs the sensors, and puts PowerPod into out-and-back calibration mode. The instructions say this...

3) During calibration watts will climb slowly from 1 to 100.

4) It's possible that, with all the button pushing, your PP has gotten confused. Press-hold the button for about 10 seconds to do a hard reset. Then do a new sensor pairing and one final calibration ride.

5) Everything should work just fine. You can download a ride and post one here...
John Hamann
eight10man

Post by eight10man »

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply (and apologies for the late feedback).
But ride data is still not stored on the PowerPod's internal memory?!?!

1) I didn't know this. Apologies for my ignorance. By now I've noticed the FAQ actually mentions this. RTFM to me!

2) Understood

3) Understood. But why does it continues climbing past 50? I thought it would stop at 50W, so you could reposition for the return part of the O&B Calibration.. For me it just continues climbing steadily to 100, whether I turn around or not (but I try to turn around as closely to 50 as possible).

4) I've done a hard reset, reset the device in ISAAC, and did a new calibration ride. Besides the initial minute(s) of the ride, my power now seems normal.

5) No ride data is being saved on the PowerPod itself!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Do you have a PowerPod Lite? This model stores only the first 10 minutes of each new ride.

If your cal ride is at lower bike speeds, such as you might have on an uphill route, the unit will continue to climb past 50, even without you turning around.
John Hamann
eight10man

Post by eight10man »

No, I've got the earlier model which when mounted hangs vertically of my out front mount. It says PowerPod BLE in red on the sides.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Please post some .ibr ride files
John Hamann
eight10man

Post by eight10man »

Velocomp_04_21_2020_0930_10_km.ibr
(76.54 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
Velocomp_04_20_2020_1000_33_km.ibr
(280.56 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
These are the most recent files I have before the PowerPod stopped recording new rides.
During the ride of 21 April I lost power data after about 10km, whereas the ride was amkost 50km. The spoke magnet of my Speed and Cadence sensor had come off.. After putting on a new magnet and doing a new calibration ride everything worked again, except saving the data internally.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

eight10man wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:32 am Velocomp_04_21_2020_0930_10_km.ibrVelocomp_04_20_2020_1000_33_km.ibr

These are the most recent files I have before the PowerPod stopped recording new rides.
During the ride of 21 April I lost power data after about 10km, whereas the ride was amkost 50km. The spoke magnet of my Speed and Cadence sensor had come off.. After putting on a new magnet and doing a new calibration ride everything worked again, except saving the data internally.
It may be that your PP ride memory is full. Use the Isaac command "Device/Erase Ride All Ride Data..." to clear its memory.
John Hamann
eight10man

Post by eight10man »

Took me a while to try this out, apologies.

I've Erased All Ride Data from my PowerPod earlier this week, and went riding this morning.
During the ride everything is reported correctly over both ANT+ and BLE (except the first 90 seconds, which is normal I know now).
But unfortunately afterwards ISAAC still reports no ride data to be available on the device.