Power drops to 0 pedaling downhill?

TWeisse

Power drops to 0 pedaling downhill?

Post by TWeisse »

I've noticed a few times that the PowerPod reports 0 watts of power when I'm pedaling downhill. It seems to happen when above a certain speed (maybe 20 mph?). It feels like I'm still putting out power and not just rotating the cranks. Overall impact on power average is likely low, but wondering if there's some tweak to settings that I should look at?
chef_sam

Re: Power drops to 0 pedaling downhill?

Post by chef_sam »

I too notice this. It's mostly flat where I live so this isn't much of an issue. I don't believe there is anything you can do for this. For what it's worth, I had the same result whether I paired the cadence sensor or not to the PP.
CyclingTwoVlogger

Post by CyclingTwoVlogger »

Same. I also noticed a few times of 0w readings during pedaling(not drafting, there is a resistance on pedals),usually see this on flat.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

It would be great to see some ride files. It is very difficult to provide advice without data... :D
John Hamann
TWeisse

Post by TWeisse »

Look a little bit after mile 11. And thanks for the fantastic support!
Attachments
iBike_04_11_2020_1229_17_Miles.ibr
(226.83 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

There is a very short segment, between mile 11.2 and mile 11.3, where you are pedaling (non-zero cadence) but watts are zero.

You are on a downhill in this section, about a -3% grade, so it's possible that you weren't pedaling hard enough to overcome beneficial effects of gravity pulling you down the hill.

In general, pedaling on downhills doesn't require much power, because of gravity.
John Hamann
TWeisse

Post by TWeisse »

Thanks for looking into it for me!
Garf

Post by Garf »

There's other topics that are similar to this: https://velocompforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=5465

I went on my first ride with a PowerPod today and this was also something that felt strange. It's very hard to get watts when going downhill. I have no power meter to reference to (the one on my trainer won't help!), but in the attached ride for example, from km 27.2 till 28.3, I am racing a segment with a slight downhill. From perceived effort, I'd say this was 230-280 watt. The PowerPod is below 100 for most of it. I don't know how reliable my feeling is, but you can actually see my HR go up in the profile and reach one of the maxes for the entire ride.

On a related note, my HR meter briefly went out at 34 mins (for less than 2 mins). It took the PowerPod 54 mins to pick up the signal again. That's unfortunate. (It went out because of a really bad cobblestone section caused the buttons to accidentally be pressed)
Attachments
Velocomp_06_19_2020_1538_30_km.ibr
(229.44 KiB) Downloaded 146 times