Using GoPro Extender and Blendr Stem

TWeisse

Using GoPro Extender and Blendr Stem

Post by TWeisse »

I have a Bontrager Blendr stem with dual mounts. On the top sits my Garmin 530 and I plan on putting the PowerPod on the bottom mount. I will have to use an extender to get the PowerPod in front of cables. How will using an extender affect PowerPod performance? Is there anything I can do in setup to counter this?

The Blendr mount kind of snaps into the stem and is therefore a little bit shaky. What will the impact be on accuracy of the PowerPod?

Finally, I would need to remove the PowerPod to download rides so there's a good chance the the angle may change. Will I need to re calibrate every time I do this?

Thanks!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Using GoPro Extender and Blendr Stem

Post by Velocomp »

I spent a bit of time looking at the Blendr stem and mount. I've never seen one in person but it looks like an interesting concept...

From what I can tell, a plastic mount clamp snaps into place over the handlebars, in the center of the stem. When the handlebars are bolted on to the stem, the clamp is securely fastened. This is an OK arrangement, provided that the clamp is stiffly attached, so that there is no movement, rotation, or vibration.

If the extender is made of plastic it likely will vibrate. This is not good. However, they have a GoPro mount that looks like it will work.
John Hamann
TWeisse

Post by TWeisse »

Thanks for the quick reply.

Your description of how the mount is set up is spot on. I have the GoPro mount but the PowerPod would definitely be screened by brake cables. I was thinking of an extender to get it our in front of the cables. There's definitely some play in the system which would only be made worse by introducing the extension.

I might try some experimentation, but wouldn't know how to detect if the numbers were affected.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

If it's possible to mount PowerPod on the handlebars, off center, that would work.

You might also be able to find a machined-aluminum GoPro extender.

Of course, another option is to reroute the cables...
John Hamann
admiraljkb

Post by admiraljkb »

TWeisse wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:10 pm Thanks for the quick reply.

Your description of how the mount is set up is spot on. I have the GoPro mount but the PowerPod would definitely be screened by brake cables. I was thinking of an extender to get it our in front of the cables. There's definitely some play in the system which would only be made worse by introducing the extension.
I might try some experimentation, but wouldn't know how to detect if the numbers were affected.
I've got Corki's on all three of my road bikes now. They're a bit longer out front to accommodate the bigger Edge 1030's and the like, and have the side benefit of getting the Powerpod well out the way of any cables. They also hold the Powerpod in place perfectly so the front intake doesn't drift up and down when going over bumps and the like. Had a different out front mount that was too deep on the GoPro mounting where the flat key on the PP mounting bracket wouldn't engage, so allowed the PP to drift in the mount.