Introducing PowerPod Lite V3

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Introducing PowerPod Lite V3

Post by Velocomp »

PowerPod Lite V3 is totally new, designed for the cyclist who wants simple, affordable, both-leg power measurement for one bike:
  • PowerPod Lite V3 shares the sleek look of its big-brother PowerPod V3
  • PowerPod Lite V3 uses a new setup and calibration method--the simplest and fastest setup process we've ever offered
  • PowerPod Lite V3 settings can be fine-tuned using an iOS/Android app--no computer required
  • PowerPod Lite V3 works with ANY bike: road, TT, MTB, gravel, cross, recumbent, tandem--no restrictions
  • PowerPod Lite V3 has a $199 MSRP.
You can read more about PowerPod Lite V3 here: https://velocomp.com/powerpod-lite/

Watch a short video about PowerPod Lite V3 setup, calibration, HERE: https://tinyurl.com/w32owwh.

Please tell your cycling buddies about the newest member of our power meter family!
Attachments
PowerPodLiteV3_Yellow.jpg
PowerPodLiteV3_Yellow.jpg (111.75 KiB) Viewed 12640 times
John Hamann
texbiker

Re: Introducing PowerPod Lite V3

Post by texbiker »

What does the iOS and Android apps look like? Screenshots?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

The app is demonstrated in the video, at about the 3:20 mark. The app section lasts about 1 minute.

The video talks about PowerPod Lite, but the app works with all V3 and AeroPod models.

https://tinyurl.com/w32owwh
John Hamann
texbiker

Post by texbiker »

Would be nice if the iOS and Android apps worked with the PP BLE I have. I am not sure I want to invest in the AP3. What happens to the ride data in AP Lite after 10 minutes? Would I be looking at the bike computer captured data? I use a Wahoo Elemnt.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

The app should work! Give it a try.
John Hamann
texbiker

Post by texbiker »

The app works. I connected to the PP BLE and went through the setup. Some observations:
- Scan sensors: I tried pressing the PP start button after waking the speed sensor but the PP would not connect according to an error message. When I pressed the PP start button and held it until the LED went solid it then connected.
- I get an error message when I try connect to Strava. See the screenshot attached.
- How do I know what Profile #1 contains? I have 3 profiles in the PP.
PowerHouse Strava Error.png
PowerHouse Strava Error.png (30.73 KiB) Viewed 12612 times
texbiker

Post by texbiker »

Today I went for my first ride since using the PowerHouse app to connect to the PP BLE. As I got ready to leave to start the ride I opened the app and tried to connect to the PP but got an error message that the PP could not be found even though it showed powered up on my Wahoo Elemnt. Afte turning the PP off and back on several times and changing to a different profile (#2) it finally connected. I thought this meant smooth sailing for the ride. NO!

When I rolled out the driveway and pressed start ride on my Elemnt no power readings. I looked at the PP LED and it was flashing red/yellow and starting to count up to 100. I wasn't prepared or expecting a calibration ride. So I rode to 50, stopped and waited then continued the ride. When the count got to 100 I thought it was finished but no watts showed on the Elemnt. I stopped and again the LED was red/yellow and waiting to count up to 100. Resumed riding and the count went to 100. Still no power reading and the LED flashing red. I pressed the PP button 5 times, the LED went out, pressed the button again, red LED. I figured the ride was going to be without power readings and turned the PP off again. Riding a short distance I pressed the PP start button again just for laughs and got a green LED and power appeared on the Elemnt screen.

The Powerhouse app and my use of it must be in conflict. When I select a profile # in the PH app does this create a new profile in the PP and erase the existing profile # in the PP? Does it check the existing profiles in the PP and do anything to them? I am still confused and frustrated using the PP with a new bike with new sensors. This is too hard. Why can I not make a new profile in Issac adding the wireless ID's I can get from my Elemnt app and then go for a ride and the PP make adjustments based on the information I put in the profile in Isaac? If I knew what to expect at the beginning of a ride I could plan on what to do but so far each ride presents an unexpected situation and I must make choices on the fly if I want power readings. Sometimes I may remember what steps to take and other times I have no idea. Too much frustration. I don't have to go through all of this to use my Wahoo Elemnt computer when I add a new bike and sensors. I guess the PP is too sophisticated for me. I bought a pair of Favero Assiomo pedals that look to be much easier to set up and use. Moving them between bikes is easier than the frustration I get with the PP.
iBike_02_20_2020_0019_24_Miles.ibr
(308.93 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Welcome to the wacky world of BLE.

A BLE device can be paired to only one other BLE device at a time. If your Wahoo is on and your PP is paired to it, then PP cannot be paired to the PowerHouse app.

This particular problem is completely out of our control; it is not a fault of PowerPod.

Note that this problem does not exist with ANT+ devices; you can pair simultaneously to as many as you wish.

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish with the PowerHouse app. You can use it (with the Wahoo off) to set up your profile. Then after you pair PP to your sensors and do a cal ride, PP will automatically pair to the correct profile.

Your questions are very fair and I will make a separate posting so that you can understand exactly what is going on.
John Hamann
texbiker

Post by texbiker »

Thank you for the response.

What I was looking for with the app was to set up a new bike with new sensors. Once that was accomplished the app would not be used until something changed on one of my bikes; new sensor, etc. What I was looking for was verification that the PP would start reporting power data to the Elemnt.

What I wish for is a way to download the ride data from the PP without removing the PP from my bike and taking it to my desktop computer. If the Powerhouse app can upload to Strava I think it could send the data to another place like Google Drive. The file then could be downloaded and looked at with Isaac. I did have a problem getting the Powerhouse app to connect to Strava and the screenshot in my earlier post showed the error message.

The Bluetooth issue is understandable and I now remember that limitation but I don't remember seeing it mentioned in the PP V3 video or other instructions. When I first used the Powerhouse app my Elemnt was off and not near the PP so I see why the app worked but when I get ready to ride I start the Elemnt and verify that all of the sensors connect before rolling out the driveway. Maybe if I just connected the PP to the Elemnt and not tried to use the app my problem wouldn't have happened. Good to know but not revealed in any instructions.

May I suggest an approach to programming and writing instructions that I learned a number of years ago when playing with early personal computers and writing programs. You need to anticipate what errors may happen and put steps in the program to catch the errors and safely recover. I am looking at the PP and what looks very simple with a single LED blinking out messages but the recipient not understanding what is being said. If there were a message system (using the app, maybe) to convey messages to the user to say things are right or something is wrong I think my frustration would be greatly reduced.

I wanted to express my feelings because once the PP is set up it works almost always in my experience but getting through the setup is challenging. Maybe my experience can help you make an even better PP.
spangelsaregreat

Post by spangelsaregreat »

John, one question that textbiker asked but you did not cover, does the Powerhouse APP detect existing profiles you have in the PowerPod. For example I currently have three profiles set up in my PowerPod, will the PowerPod APP detect they are there and show them in the app and show the 4th profile to be empty?

It would be great if it did as it would allow you to quickly see what profile you have active and give the opportunity to check what PowerPod is doing when you are out and about.

Regards
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

spangelsaregreat wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:10 am John, one question that textbiker asked but you did not cover, does the Powerhouse APP detect existing profiles you have in the PowerPod. For example I currently have three profiles set up in my PowerPod, will the PowerPod APP detect they are there and show them in the app and show the 4th profile to be empty?

It would be great if it did as it would allow you to quickly see what profile you have active and give the opportunity to check what PowerPod is doing when you are out and about.

Regards
This is a great question and there is an important answer.

No, the app cannot READ bike and rider profile data from your device. The app can only WRITE profile data to your device.

The app allows you to select and enter device profiles, specifically bike and rider profile information. In the Bike/Rider Setup sequence the app asks you to select a profile, and then to enter the bike/rider data for that profile. In the final step of the setup sequence the app transmits your bike/rider profile data to your device, and enables the selected profile on the device. This means that whenever you use the app to select and enter bike/rider profile data, the app overwrites any bike/rider data previously stored for that profile.

Note that the app does NOT overwrite sensor IDs or calibration data--if you've already done pairing and calibration, the app will leave them untouched and you won't have to do a new sensor pairing or cal ride for that profile.

The app also remembers any profile data you previously entered using the app, so anytime you reselect a profile from the app, the same profile data from the app will transmitted back to the device.

If you think of the app as an alternative way to setup and tweak profiles, without using Isaac, then you will be on solid ground.

If you want to use the app to control your PP, then make sure you use the app to recreate the bike/rider information for each of your profiles. After you do this you can use the app to select/modify your profiles while on the road. (NOTE: Automatic Profile Selection automatically switches to the profile setup for the bike you're riding, without using the app or Isaac).

However, if you're mixing Isaac and app profile data entry and tweaking, you might get into some trouble: whichever software was used last will be the one that controls the profile data. If you want to use both Isaac and the app to work with your profiles then make sure you understand this post; it will keep you safe!

When we made the video we showed app usage for PowerPod Lite. We picked PPL because we figure that PPL users might not want to mess with Isaac.
John Hamann
texbiker

Post by texbiker »

Thank you for the insight on how the Powerhouse app works with the profiles.

Let relay my experience on today's bike ride.

After riding my new bike for several rides and suffering from the PP not working and then working yesterday today I decided to ride my older Canyon bike which has worked with the PP for almost 2 years. Sometimes I had a problem with PP and Canyon combination but it was rare. Getting ready for the ride I went through my usual pre-ride check, starting the speed and cadence sensors, then pressing the PP start button. The profile in the PP for this bike has not changed to my knowledge and worked previously. The PP would not connect to the Wahoo Elemnt. The PP LED would blink green and then go out. Since I don't understand blinkie-blinkie signals I tried this several times with the same result. I gave up and started the ride. Around 4 miles I thought I would try again but this time I would use the Powerhouse app to see if it would connect. No connection so I closed the app and figured the ride would be power free but I pressed the PP start button for some reason and it connected to the Elemnt. As I started riding it began the count up to 100 of a calibration ride and at 100 began transmitting power data to the Elemnt. I have no idea what I did to get the PP talking. This is frustrating when the PP worked with this bike for many months and then this. Unpredictable and unexpected PP events ruin a bike ride. I don't know what to expect on tomorrow's ride.

After the ride I deleted the Powerhouse app from my phone.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

It's impossible to diagnose from your description what went awry. That's not a criticism; rather, it simply means that, somewhere, something went off track, but where that happened I cannot determine.

I'm suspicious that your PP was set to a different profile from that which was previously associated with your Canyon bike, but most certainly there is no "proof" of that suspicion.

Going forward, at least you won't have to worry that the app is messing-up your ride...

If you want to post ride files I will make sure everything is OK.
John Hamann
texbiker

Post by texbiker »

From today's bike ride.
iBike_02_16_2020_1417_24_Miles.ibr
(291.01 KiB) Downloaded 364 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I looked at your ride file. Calibration is fine.

it looks like you were in some gusty winds of all kinds!
John Hamann
texbiker

Post by texbiker »

The wind wasn't that high; 5 mph with some light gusts.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

That is exactly what your ride file shows, headwind gusts of about 4 mph.
John Hamann
spangelsaregreat

John

How do you get Issac to show normalised Power. When I look at my rides on Issac it only gives average and max power.

Regards
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Are you looking in the advanced stats window? It looks like the shot below.

If you see icons instead of numbers in the stats window, place your mouse over the stats window, right click, and select Advanced Stats
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 4.31.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 4.31.45 PM.png (56.28 KiB) Viewed 12446 times
John Hamann
spangelsaregreat

No, in the simpler stats view. I noticed textbiker's ride file when loaded in Issac shows NP in the simple stats view. I can see it in the advanced stats just not in the simpler stats.

Regards
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

Looking at the simplified/iconic view of the summary - the power values include normal power (Norm Power) as the third line of the values displayed.
spangelsaregreat

Have been meaning to set up a separate profile for my Giant TCX as I use two pairs of wheels, one CX tyres, one with Gravel tyres. On John's advice above I am going to stick with Issac for setting up my PP however, I decided to try setting up the profile with the app to try it out.

All went relatively easily, set up the profile in Powerhouse, copied to the device, paired PowerPod with the sensors and did the cal ride. Did a short ride about the local area and power figures seemed to be as expected. Certainly a bit more straightforward that using Issac so will be good for new users.

I have re-done the new profile using Issac as I am used to it but if you are new to PP then the app is certainly a simpler way to get it set up.

It would be interesting to know what the difference is in watts between a full Issac set up of a profile and one using Powerhouse.

Regards