Adding New Bike to PowerPod BLE - Need a Phone App

texbiker

Adding New Bike to PowerPod BLE - Need a Phone App

Post by texbiker »

Yesterday I did an O&B calibration ride and everything looked okay. After the ride I connected the PP to Isaac and it found a new profile but as it downloaded older ride files it kept asking if I wanted to change the ride profile to the new one which I did not because it was not the new bike. I selected "cancel" and the file downloaded and went to the next ride and repeated the process. Is it possible to add another choice like "No"?

I checked the new profile and it had the new sensors' ANT+ wireless numbers.

Today I took the new bike for its first ride with the PP. I pressed the PP start button after waking the speed and cadence sensors (Wahoo wireless) but it would not connect to the Wahoo Elemnt. I went ahead and started riding hoping the movement would waken the PP. No change. I pressed the PP start button several times and no change. Then I pressed the button 5 times but no success. Then I held the PP start button for about 15 seconds. The PP connected to the Elemnt and worked as expected the rest of the ride. I am not sure what I did but it was frustrating not being able to see what the PP wanted or was doing.

It sure would be helpful if there was an app on my Pixel 3 XL phone that connected to the PP and let me manage it, see what the settings are and add a new bike with sensors. The PP connects to Isaac why not a phone app?
texbiker

Re: Adding New Bike to PowerPod BLE - Need a Phone App

Post by texbiker »

My frustration continues.

I bought a new bike, went for a calibration O&B ride (attached). I thought it was recorded and working. During 4 bike rides after the O&B power recorded in my Wahoo Elemnt and shows up in Golden Cheetah, Strava and other places.

Today I connected my PP BLE to Isaac to download the rides since 2/1/2020. Isaac opened up and wanted to download rides dating back to November which I already downloaded. Why? Each time it downloaded a ride Isaac stated new wireless devices found and wanted to update a profile but not the profile that should have been associated with the ride. To get around this I stopped the download and changed the folder destination so Isaac would not overwrite previous downloaded rides with the wrong profile associated with the ride. This downloaded the old files and rides up to my O&B ride calibration but no rides after that point.

I tried disconnecting the PP and reconnecting to see if the missing rides would download but no deal.

How do I get the missing ride files to download from the PP? Why is Isaac not user friendly when downloading files from the PP?

I tried to attached the tcx file from my ride on 2/8/2020 with power data. You can see power data from the ride on my Strava activity at https://www.strava.com/activities/3083558090
Attachments
iBike_02_02_2020_1301_1_Miles.ibr
(12.15 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Let's slow things down...

1) How many bikes are you using with your PP?

2) Have you previously calibrated your PP with another bike? If so, please post a ride file from that bike. Also, which profile # are you using for the first bike?

3) Which profile # are you attempting to use now for your new bike?

4) It sounds like Isaac is trying to overwrite an old profile (it finds different data from your new bike which is different from your old bike). My guess is that you have stored new sensor numbers on an old profile. Isaac is confused...

5) If you are trying to calibrate a new bike you should select a profile # that is different from your old bike. Use the command "Device/Setup Device" to select a new profile and enter information for your new bike

6) Please do a new calibration ride with your new profile and bike setup.

You can use the Powerhouse Bike app for Android to perform setup of your PP.
John Hamann
texbiker

Post by texbiker »

1) I have 3 profiles for 3 bikes.

2) Before the recent addition to my stable I had 2 profiles working with the PP. Files attached. I updated the profiles to reduce my weight in each one on 2/1/2020. The Canyon profile is the one I use daily because the Blue profile bike is in my smart trainer running Zwift.

3) The Lynskey profile is the new bike. attached. This profile is the one created from the O&B and hopefully used on the missing rides. The profile was created on 2/2/2020 and rode 4 times since then.

4) That may have happened. Today when attempting to download the rides I checked the Canyon profile and it had the Lynskey wireless ID's in it but I think that happened when downloading the old ride files again and I made the choice to add the new wireless ID's to the Canyon profile. I deleted the Canyon profile from the PP and added the backup copy and sent it to the device.

5) I used the command you reference to set the profile choice.

My frustration comes when connecting to Isaac and not knowing what it will do. How or why did it want to download rides from November when I last downloaded on 2/1/2020? It would be so helpful to be able to connect to the PP with an app which would show the profiles in place, what rides are available to download and other information. Relying on a blinking LED code table that I forget while out riding is a problem. I can see what is going on with my Wahoo Elemnt computer using an app. Please consider an app.
Attachments
Canyon Endurace 8-23-2018 Profile 2.ibp
(449 Bytes) Downloaded 190 times
Lynskey R300 Profile 2-1-2020.ibp
(440 Bytes) Downloaded 195 times
Blue Norcross Profile 2-1-2020.ibp
(408 Bytes) Downloaded 183 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Please post some ride files related to the profiles, not just the profiles themselves.
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Your Lynskey profile has an incomplete calibration. You need to do it again.

Make sure your PP is set to profile #1 (this is the profile you're using for Lynskey), do a new sensor pairing, then do a new cal ride.

I can't tell which profile number you are using for the Blue Norcross bike. I hope it is profile #3. If not then you have bigger problems...
John Hamann
texbiker

Post by texbiker »

I only have ride data for the Blue and Canyon profiles since I cannot get the Lynskey rides from the PP. The 02/12/2018 ride is with the Blue bike on a Cyclops trainer. It appears I never used the PP on this bike on the road.
The 1/26/2020 ride is for the Canyon bike.
The 2/2/2020 is the only ride I can download for the Lynskey bike.
Attachments
iBike_02_02_2020_1301_1_Miles.ibr
(12.15 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
iBike_01_26_2020_1314_26_Miles.ibr
(312.49 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
iBike_02_12_2018_1330_12_Miles.ibr
(73.53 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
texbiker

Post by texbiker »

In regards to the incomplete profile for the Lynskey: How would I know that? An app might have told me that and I would have taken that step.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

It is very, very difficult for us to anticipate all the things that can happen in the field. Whether it is a computer-based program, or an app, the program/app will only do what it is told to do...and we are the ones who have to anticipate and then program around potential problems.

It seems that an old profile was overwritten with new sensor IDs, and I'm not sure what profile you were using when programming the Lynskey. So, what actually happened in your cal ride is a real mystery... That said, I am 99% confident that, at the end of your Lynskey cal ride, your PP showed solid red, then flashed red/green, indicating that the calibration was unsuccessful.

I can tell the calibration was incomplete because your wind scaling factor is 1.000--this is the default factor programmed at the factory. One major purpose of the calibration is to measure and update this factor. Another obvious way to tell is to look at the ride file; you have a severe tail wind for the entire ride, and you produced only 45W for the second half of the ride. Both show that the wind scaling factor is low.
John Hamann
texbiker

Post by texbiker »

I set the Lynksey to profile #1. Tomorrow I will do an O&B ride for calibration. I printed the instructions from the Velocomp Support page. I will try to watch the LED colors (the PP is out front below my Wahoo Elemnt under the stem). I don't remember any instructions about the new profile must be set to profile #1 before the ride. Help me find those instructions on the website. If I never rode the bike before there would not be a profile to set to #1. Will the PP create a new profile based on the wireless ID's? Or does it try to overwrite those in an existing profile? Thus when I connect the PP to Isaac it asks if I want it to add the new wireless ID's to my existing profile? Very confusing during the download of ride data.

Not to harp on the app but what I am asking about is an app that just reports what the PP is doing not making setting changes. For me my only Windows computer is a desktop with my main computer being a Pixelbook which is not compatible with Isaac. I must remove the PP from the bike and take it to my desktop computer. That is why I don't download after each ride and thus do not know what is inside the PP settings.
texbiker

Post by texbiker »

I rode a new calibration ride and I think this one completed. The ride file is attached.

Sadly I broke one of the tabs off the PP. I discovered this last night and I am not sure when that happened. It mounts in the bracket firmly so I will use it with the missing tab/finger.
Attachments
iBike_02_10_2020_1127_12_Miles.ibr
(164.27 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

This looks good
John Hamann