PPv3 suddenly went out (battery ok)

kdx200

PPv3 suddenly went out (battery ok)

Post by kdx200 »

Hi John,
today went out for a 3 hour ride as usual and the ppv3 was going ok also as usual...
Suddenly the watts in garmin went to 0. I was in a dangerous place so i could no possibility to stop there. I continue pedaling and also trying to figure the problem. I checked the gamrin and the ppv3 battery said normal.
I tried to the pp button.... nothing happend... i mean the LED was out...no red, no yellow, no led at all... strange... the garmin recognized the pp all time but power 0w..... so, the speed sensor? no... i checked and was ok.
Then i arrived to a safe place and check the same things in stop mode... 0kmh. nothing happened... i was very frsutated...
I continued pedaling and tried again... pushed 5 times...nothing.... no led... pushed 4second...nothing....
then i was more than frustrated but very annoyed... and hit the button for 30 second... voila!!!! i think i saw a orange led and then blinking green... and instanteouly the watts came up.
So what happened?? i dont know. Then the things were as usual...
Now iam sending the first stage where the pp dies. it records ok (i think) and the file says "0km" but inside you get the first 24km.
Also iam attaching the second stage where i think the pp " resets" ..the file is out date but info is ok (i think). Also i think that the 2 files can not be matched...the end of the first one and the start of the second one are " far" ...i think at least for 20kmts when i " fix" the pp problem.

Thank you.
Attachments
iBike_06_01_2019_0000_44_km_HiDef.ibr
(1.02 MiB) Downloaded 170 times
iBike_02_02_2020_0635_0_km_HiDef.ibr
(591.82 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: PPv3 suddenly went out (battery ok)

Post by Velocomp »

Hmm...

1) You say PP was still connected to the Garmin, even though there was 0 power. How do you know that PP was still connected to Garmin?

2) When you clicked the button of PP, what did it do? Solid green or flashing green? This is important to know; if solid green, then PP was paired to your speed sensor. If flashing green, then PP was not paired to your speed sensor.

3) The hard reset definitely fixed things. The reason your first ride file says 0km is because PP lost metadata when you did the hard reset. The ride info is fine, however. The subsequent ride is OK too.

I don' know why this happened

You have FW 7.10 in your unit. You should upgrade it to the latest version, 7.11.
John Hamann
kdx200

Post by kdx200 »

1. As i said...i continued pedaling trying different things... for example seeing the sensors active and its status..,the pp said batery normal and others pp info. I disconnect and reconnect and was the same talking about the power number in 0w. Also the icon in the garmin appeared as conected.

2. Click and nothing. No led at all. Nothing touching 1 time, 4 second or the 5 time to put it off.
At first i thought that the battery was down, but quicky remebered that was nearly full... and tried doing the button sequence. One push.... the 4 second push... nothing happend. At the end tried with super long push and came alive.

3 ok. Thanks.

Thank ypu
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

kdx200 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:13 pm 1. As i said...i continued pedaling trying different things... for example seeing the sensors active and its status..,the pp said batery normal and others pp info. I disconnect and reconnect and was the same talking about the power number in 0w. Also the icon in the garmin appeared as conected.

2. Click and nothing. No led at all. Nothing touching 1 time, 4 second or the 5 time to put it off.
At first i thought that the battery was down, but quicky remebered that was nearly full... and tried doing the button sequence. One push.... the 4 second push... nothing happend. At the end tried with super long push and came alive.

3 ok. Thanks.

Thank ypu
Wow; this is a new one for me! I will report this to our firmware developer and see if he has any ideas. It definitely sounds like your unit went into lala land...
John Hamann
spangelsaregreat

Post by spangelsaregreat »

Hi

I have had the same issue a couple of times. Same symptoms the power still shows on the Garmin as zero watts but it will show battery status etc. On two occasions I was able to just restart the PP and all was well. On one occasion it required a hard reset to sort it.

Question re Firmware mine is running 7.09 and when I check for online updates in Issac it says this is the latest for my unit. Should it not be 7.11?

Regards
kdx200

Post by kdx200 »

Tried to update to 7.11.... no luck

it says (the isaac) that the pp is updated.

thank you!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

kdx200 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:03 am Tried to update to 7.11.... no luck

it says (the isaac) that the pp is updated.

thank you!
Please email technicalsupport@velocomp.com to get 711
John Hamann
Wobblydrow

Post by Wobblydrow »

Of interest I have had exactly the same happen twice - hard reset fixes it.

Perhaps for the tech team, i noticed that at the exact time my cadence sensor went to zero rpm and stayed zero, (all on ANT+) so something must be going wrong with the communication protocol somewhere
kdx200

Post by kdx200 »

Mmm in my case the rpm cadence ans also speed sensor were ok. The only problem was the power watts.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We are investigating.
John Hamann