Securing Powerpod to Mount - won't tighten fully

chef_sam

Securing Powerpod to Mount - won't tighten fully

Post by chef_sam »

My question is: how easy should it be to tilt the pod on the mount after hand-tightening the black knob? Because unless I use a screwdriver to tighten it further, it takes only mild effort to tilt the pod. I'm concerned bumps will cause it to move while riding. Although mostly smooth asphalt, there are a few bumps and rough patches on my ride.

Full Story:

I just bought a powerpod V3 and set it up/calibrated it yesterday using it with my Garmin edge 530 via ANT+. The pod is mounted on my handlebars. After securing the mount, I put the pod on flat side out tilted forward/down about 5-10°until it hit the (hard to notice) "stop" and tightened it using the black threaded knob screw with the metal end cap. However, I noticed that even fully hand-tightened the pod could be moved up and down with minimal effort. Certainly hard bumps might move it. I used a Phillips-head screwdriver to tighten it a bit further but didn't want to risk damaging the hardware so I left it and set out.

After some unrelated difficulties getting it to enter calibration mode, I managed to get it calibrated and went for a ride. Numbers seemed a little high but overall reasonable with a 3-5 second lag (is that normal?). During the return portion of my ride I somehow bumped the power-pod with my hand and immediately noticed the readings drop to zero. I stopped riding then re-adjusted the pod to the "stop" position. I began riding again and power numbers were 1500+W - I'm getting better, but not that good!! I proceeded to recalibrate it, seemed to work but the numbers were definitely lower than last time (~25% lower than before for similar effort/conditions). I shut it off at this point panning to recalibrate it again later.

After getting home I thought I must have simply not tightened it properly. I tried again and again, but aside from cranking down hard with a screwdriver I can't get the pod to secure in place without fear of moving it. I don't normally fumble around the handlebars so I probably won't bump it, but given how important consistent position is to the device it seems odd to me that it isn't very firmly secured when fully tightened.

Is there a trick to getting it secure? I don't want to tighten it with wrenches etc since I need to remove it periodically to charge it or extract data. I'm surprised there isn't a better quick release mechanism considering the pod needs to frequently be removed.
spangelsaregreat

Re: Securing Powerpod to Mount - won't tighten fully

Post by spangelsaregreat »

Hi

I find that it is not always possible to get the hand screw bolt tight enough so I use allen key bolts. Doesn't take any longer to take it off after a ride and a bit more secure. I have used the hand screw bolt and not found it an issue on my road bike but have had the Powerpod tilt on CX and Gravel rides with it.

Regards
chef_sam

Post by chef_sam »

Thanks. I used the screwdriver today less fearfully and it's pretty firm - didn't budge on my ride thank goodness. I might look for a better screw to use, the allen key option is a good idea. Otherwise the power readings looked pretty good.
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

I never received a thumb screw with my PP, but I did get the allen wrench

I do tighten it down - not likely to wobble at all. just tilt it forward as I secure it and it ends up pretty much at the same angle.

I also have a long extender USB able so that I can leave it on the bike while charging and reading it with Isaac. Probably just as easy if you are using a laptop - W'doze or Mac OS versions. So consider an extension cable that will let you leave it on your bike (this does not work if you have more than one bike that you mount it on, obviously.)
chef_sam

Post by chef_sam »

Mine came with both the thumb screw and the hex screw apparently. I'll switch to the hex one, easier tightening.

I've been using my desktop computer to offload data and charge, but I do have a laptop so that might be easier. I'll use a spare phone charger with a longer cable to charge the pod on the bike in the garage so I don't have to remove it. Thanks for the suggestions.
kdx200

Post by kdx200 »

No problems here to attach the PP1 and now the PPv3. Always use the used the hand knob like the gopro one. Never a tilt issue . it's hard to tilt it manually... i think i will break it if i try.

thanks
jeffwhitfield

Post by jeffwhitfield »

Considering that the mount for the PowerPod is more or less a GoPro mount, I have found that the same thumbscrews can be tightened using virtually any GoPro mount wrench. I got this one and store in in my bag. Works great and tightens down my PowerPod quite well:

https://www.amazon.com/Mekingstudio-Spa ... 19&sr=8-10