Polar Devices (Vantage M specifically)

joefromtb

Polar Devices (Vantage M specifically)

Post by joefromtb »

Has anyone succeeded in pairing a Polar device other than the v650? I have a Vantage M the pairs with the ppv3 but does not display power data. My wa watch does not appear to be picking the pp up as a power meter. I'm hoping it's not like the v800. Any help would be appreciated. My ppv3 works with the wahoo app on my Samsung Note 10 so I know it's not the pp.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Polar Devices (Vantage M specifically)

Post by Velocomp »

PP broadcasts its power data in an industry-standard BLE format. That PP works with your Samsung 10 and Wahoo app supports this assertion (signals would have to be correctly processed both by the Samsung 10 and the Wahoo app).

Separately, we've personally tested PP with the Polar v650, and it works just fine.

https://velocompforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=3781

But sadly, for many years now Polar has marched to a different drummer. Some of their products conform to BLE standards and some seem not to. We have no idea which of their products are which.
John Hamann
joefromtb

Post by joefromtb »

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to try the CABLE Ant+ bridge as a work around, if that doesn't work I may just pick up a v650. I'm pretty commited to Polar at this point.
Barneybod

Post by Barneybod »

I'm curious. Did this workaround do the trick, Joe?
joefromtb

Post by joefromtb »

It did work. But, you can not rebroadcast the speed and cadence along with the power to the Vantage M. If you rebroadcast just power it works great. I believe this is why the rebroadcast from the PPv3 isn't working with this particular polar watch. Also, if I pair my watch with my speed and cadence it doesn't show power data. So, its heart rate and power or heart rate, speed, and cadence, but not all of them. I have yet to try it outside with gps, lots of snow here in Northern MI. I found a used V650 to try out also (going that route for maps on my longer rides).

PS: I've only trouble shoot on the trainer in my basement. I'll follow up with my experiences once I get outside.
joefromtb

Post by joefromtb »

As a side note Samsung's have Ant+ built in to their phones so that's how I connected to the wahoo app.
joefromtb

Post by joefromtb »

Weather was high 30's today and decently dry roads. I tried it out and the PPv3 hooked up, went through the calibration process showing progress on my Vantage M. Once completed power data was being sent to my watch. Worked like it should. End of the ride had distance and speed from gps, power data was from the PPv3. The set up is below:

Pair PP to Ant+ speed and cadence sensor
Set up CABLE on app (apple only no android app)
Pair PP to Cable
Map Ant+ power only from PP to BLE
Pair Vantage M to CABLE

The CABLE unit is slightly smaller than a heart rate monitor sans chest strap. I didn't even notice it in my jersey pocket.
tristo

Re: Polar Devices Vantage V

Post by tristo »

Hi, Polar users
Recently I purchased 4iiii Viiiiva V100 Heart Rate Monitor, that has an ANT+ bridge and data recorder, and IT WORKS on my Polar Vantage V. I am receiving heart rate, cadence, speed and power (no left/right, whole power only)
The advantage over CABLE is that you do not have to carry extra peace of hardware no matter how small it is
Viiiva can be purchased in Europe.
Settings and pairings is similar with CABLE settings/pairings, just follow instructions from their website