I screwed up my O&B ride ...

CP_in_SC

I screwed up my O&B ride ...

Post by CP_in_SC »

Hello John, I'm a newbie to PowerPod and power meters in general, and was perhaps a little too eager in setting up my PP for the first time late at night. I road around my hilly neighborhood and had to do a lot of braking on my O&B ride. I later read proper O&B instructions and realized my error. How can I start over? I did try, but I'm not getting the screen that counts up Watts from 1, as I did the first time. Do I need to have my bike computer (Wahoo ELMNT) "forget" PP, then connect again?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: I screwed up my O&B ride ...

Post by Velocomp »

If you brake on an O&B ride your tilt calibration might be wrong, but this will automatically correct itself on the next ride.

If you have installed Isaac software on your computer then do a short ride, download the ride file and post it here. I suspect will be OK.

If you want to do a new O&B ride do the following:

1) Awaken your sensors

2) Press-hold PP button for about 4 seconds, until it starts flashing. Release the button

3) PP will do a new sensor pairing. When the pairing is finished your PP will be back in O&B calibration mode.
John Hamann
CP_in_SC

Post by CP_in_SC »

John, thanks but still having a problem. I did the new O&B ride procedure you described. I then pressed the "CAL" button on my Wahoo Elmnt, and began my out ride ... went for quite a while and got the message "calibration failed." I tried again with the same results. Suggestions?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

The CAL button on your Wahoo does nothing. You don't have to push it and, if you do, it does nothing.

Follow the instructions I provided and you will have success.
John Hamann
CP_in_SC

Post by CP_in_SC »

Hello John,

I think I'm up and running. As you suggested, I'm attaching a ride file for your scrutiny.

Looking at the graph, it seems there is some difference between wind and wheel speed. Is this pretty accurate for a very calm day?

Also, I noticed that power tended to ramp up rather dramatically when I got rolling again after traffic light stops. I realize that it takes more power to get up to speed and less power to maintain, but does that look right to you?

Thanks!
Velocomp_06_05_2019_1834_22_Miles.ibr
20 mile test ride taken AFTER O&B cal set up ride.
(245.17 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

This looks fine!

Two points:

1) Though you THINK winds are very calm...in fact, they never are truly calm! After your descent you can see places where there are slight headwinds and slight tailwinds. Those are real phenomena...that's one of the reasons your power output changes

2) Whenever you accelerate you will produce a lot of power, for a short period of time. This is 100% correct! But don't get too excited...those bursts of power last a very short time :-)
John Hamann
CP_in_SC

Post by CP_in_SC »

Glad to hear it, John.

Many thanks to you and to Tom, who helped me get over a few hurdles with Isaac.