PowerPod V3 in the Rain

spangelsaregreat

PowerPod V3 in the Rain

Post by spangelsaregreat »

So I upgraded to the V3 almost 6 months ago and one of the reasons was to see if the Pitot tube made much difference when riding in wet conditions compared with the V2 without.

I have now ridden in all sorts of wet conditions from dry rides with a thunderstorm downpour to light drizzle and full heavy rain rides (we get all types in Scotland). My main observation is I don't really notice much difference using the Pitot tube. I generally get about 15 to 20 minutes use before the Windport gets blocked if the rain is from drizzle to heavy rain. In a full on downpour it gets blocked within minutes.

Interestingly when the roads or trails are wet but it is not raining generally the wind port does not block. I have ridden on some pretty sodden roads with lots of spray and some pretty muddy puddle laden off road rides but in my experience the port does not get blocked. From memory this was more of an issue on the V2.

In terms of the port unblocking itself during a ride I have only seen this once. It was the dry ride with the sudden down pour and it was a warm day. I also noticed on a commute in the morning where the port gets blocked, if I leave the Powerpod on my bike (in the office garage) it doesn't dry out by the time to ride home (about 8 to 10 hours later). However, if I bring it into the office it does dry out.

So does the Pitot tube make a difference. Not really if it is raining for the whole ride. However, I think it does make a good job of keeping out surface water. The only caveat I would put on that is you need to mount the PowerPod off centre. If you have it inline with the front wheel my experience is it blocks more often from wheel spray. I would also note it does remove issues with false power readings in slight downhill cross winds. It does not remove the false reading on gradual fast descents where you are pedalling, these still cause power to over read sometimes.

Regards
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: PowerPod V3 in the Rain

Post by Velocomp »

Do you have your V3 pointed slightly down? That position should improve water resistance.

If V3 is pointed uphill then water could be more of an issue.
John Hamann
spangelsaregreat

Hi John,

Yes it is angled slightly down. Is there a maximum amount you can get away with?

Regards
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I would try for 10 to 20 degrees down.
John Hamann
stevepmoore

Post by stevepmoore »

Hi John, When I asked a similar question recently you advised approx level. I have my V3 at 5 degrees which is noticeably pointing downwards. 10 to 20 degrees would be very significantly downwards. Would the PP not think that you are riding downhill and under read at that sort of angle?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

stevepmoore wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:05 am Hi John, When I asked a similar question recently you advised approx level. I have my V3 at 5 degrees which is noticeably pointing downwards. 10 to 20 degrees would be very significantly downwards. Would the PP not think that you are riding downhill and under read at that sort of angle?
The out-and-back calibration process takes care of things. No matter what angle your PP is attached, during calibration the tilt angle is measured and then is electronically compensated.
John Hamann
spangelsaregreat

Tried moving the Powerpod to 15 degree angle on todays very wet gravel ride. Didn't make a huge difference, maybe a few more miles before it blocked.