Problem Using Powerpod V3 with M460

augustinetai

Problem Using Powerpod V3 with M460

Post by augustinetai »

Hi, I would like to seek for advise for the following situation.

I have sync the Powerpod V3 with both Wahoo Speed and Wahoo Cadence sensors. I have also sync the PP with my Polar M460. In addition both Wahoo sensors are sync with the M460.

When I turn on Ride mode on my M460, it keeps asking to sync with PP and I kept selecting YES. The PP already shows that it is connected with the 2 Wahoo Sensors before I turn on the Ride mode on the M460. After the second or third time M460 asking to sync with PP, the M460 shows all sensors are connected and then I ride. But the Power information is not showing on the M460.

So after researching the forum, I went to un-sync both Wahoo sensors from M460. Un-sync and re-sync PP to M460. Again no Power information is showing (assuming that PP will be providing all the information, Speed, Cadence and Power in BLE, to M460).

Then I re-sync both Wahoo sensors to M460, and turn on Ride mode on my M460. The same thing (M460 keeps asking to sync with PP, and no Power information) happens again.

What am I doing wrong?
augustinetai

Re: Problem Using Powerpod V3 with M460

Post by augustinetai »

The other question - would I have significantly less issue if I was to use an ANT+ device instead? My intention to use M460 is to keep all data under Polar Flow.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Unfortunately I don't have any insights to help you in this situation. We know from years of experience that Polar devices have a lot of problems with ANT and BLE pairing. These are problems that are not peculiar to Velocomp sensors.

There are other people on the forum who have Polar devices and who have found ways to workaround the problems that Polar devices have. Hopefully they have some things for you to try.
John Hamann
Iainmw

Post by Iainmw »

So frustrating to hear someone else is having the exact same problem as me. I have a Polar M450 with Wahoo speed and cadence sensors.
I know my PowerPod is transmitting power data, as I can see it in the PowerHouse app.
Any help would be appreciated, as I don’t want to have to buy another bike computer.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Iainmw wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:31 am So frustrating to hear someone else is having the exact same problem as me. I have a Polar M450 with Wahoo speed and cadence sensors.
I know my PowerPod is transmitting power data, as I can see it in the PowerHouse app.
Any help would be appreciated, as I don’t want to have to buy another bike computer.
I don't have an answer for you. Unfortunately Polar does not seem to conform to BLE standards...
John Hamann
Iainmw

Post by Iainmw »

I emailed Polar and got this not very helpful reply from them.
Thank you for contacting Polar Customer Care.

Unfortunately our tech team have not been provided with a sample of this sensor to test by its manufacturer, so we cannot confirm any compatibility for you.

You can find a complete list of sensors we have tested with compatibility here:
https://support.polar.com/au-en/support ... ccessories
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Wow, they really are trying to sell you a bridge...

There are BLE and ANT standards that are accessible to any sensor or bike computer company. If manufacturers follow the standards things will work, and if standards are not followed things won't work. Can you imagine how horrible things would be if every company had to test every product made by every other company?

A few years ago we tested PowerPod with a Polar V650. It worked. We have changed nothing since then.

Unfortunately Polar has a long, long history of having compatibility problems; we have watched this since 2005. Maybe that's one reason Polar has had difficulty winning significant market share.
John Hamann