When to adjust ride data?

Wobblydrow

When to adjust ride data?

Post by Wobblydrow »

Finally have my PP v3 working across 3 bikes consistently.

Just a couple of final questions
1. Under what conditions should the "analyse route be used" after a ride is downloaded. i tend to find about 10% reduction in average and normalised power after using the analysis....should i really use this every time or only under specific circumstances?

2. When should the check box for wind changed be used?. For example i ride south for 10km into a southerly breeze, i then turn east and ride 20km, but the wind is still a southerly...so in effect I am seeing a different wind to the sensor even though its not changed? if i commute to work in a southerly, but then return on the same route and its a westerly, should the option be used......I join the ride files to give me one ride file for Strava

3. One of my bikes seems to give much higher power (by about 10%) than another thats a similar geometry just maybe 1kg difference in weight. Is this realistic to expect that minor changes to the tube shape and weight would give such a large difference. I have repeated the calibration for the bike giving the higher value and it gave me a near identical result in the analysis. It just seems too large a difference (I have calibrated each bike using a identical 5km O&B sector)
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: When to adjust ride data?

Post by Velocomp »

1. If your device is properly calibrated, then Analyze Route does not need to be used. If you've bumped your device, or moved it on your bike without doing a new calibration, then Analyze Route will save the day. Analyze Route assumes an out and back ride, with non-changing wind conditions. For longer bike rides this is often not the case

2. I don't know what the "check box for wind" is

3. No, you should get similar results from different bikes, as long as you haven't changed profile information. Post a file from each and I will take a look.
John Hamann
Wobblydrow

Post by Wobblydrow »

2. i meant the "wind changed" check box in analyse ride

3. I have attached three ride files from last three days. Bike 1 is the bike i believe is giving hirer power, but has been calibrated twice and the check calibration give nearly identical numbers
Bike 2 ride 1 and two are the other bike. I tried to get a plot with same average power or speed to compare. One is within 0.2kph average and one is 1kph average lower, but 30 watts lower. which is ~25% nearly. The reason i think one has an issue is even though the average speed is near the same, the power is lower, but also my average heart rate is higher. The numbers on my head unit riding on bike 1 seems to consistently show higher numbers when riding the same course but i dont feel like i am putting in the same effort

Or am i worrying about nothing here?
Attachments
Bike 2 ride 2 .ibr
(345.51 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
Bike 2 ride 1.ibr
(370.1 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
Bike 1.ibr
(374.35 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Wobblydrow wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:27 am 2. i meant the "wind changed" check box in analyse ride

3. I have attached three ride files from last three days. Bike 1 is the bike i believe is giving hirer power, but has been calibrated twice and the check calibration give nearly identical numbers
Bike 2 ride 1 and two are the other bike. I tried to get a plot with same average power or speed to compare. One is within 0.2kph average and one is 1kph average lower, but 30 watts lower. which is ~25% nearly. The reason i think one has an issue is even though the average speed is near the same, the power is lower, but also my average heart rate is higher. The numbers on my head unit riding on bike 1 seems to consistently show higher numbers when riding the same course but i dont feel like i am putting in the same effort

Or am i worrying about nothing here?
Two things:

1) Bike 1 shows the course to be 22.2 miles long. Bike 2 says the same course is 21.5 miles long. The difference implies that the "actual" wheel circumference of the two bikes is different. However, in the profiles, the wheel circumference of the two bikes is identical. I suspect that if the wheel circumferences are set to the correct (measured) value for each bike, your results will line-up much better.

2) Heart rate is a good, but not perfect, metric. Outdoor temperature was quite different on these rides; this could explain the HR difference.
John Hamann
Wobblydrow

Post by Wobblydrow »

Thanks

The ride differences are due to where i started / stopped...the wheels on both bikes are both identical circumference, to within 1mm, both same brand 25mm tyres at same pressure. Do you see anything with the setup / data that suggests a difference is calibration related, as all the rides i do tend to have this relative difference between the two bikes.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Wobblydrow wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:54 am Thanks

The ride differences are due to where i started / stopped...the wheels on both bikes are both identical circumference, to within 1mm, both same brand 25mm tyres at same pressure. Do you see anything with the setup / data that suggests a difference is calibration related, as all the rides i do tend to have this relative difference between the two bikes.
No
John Hamann