No power reading on edge 820

BVSCRIV

No power reading on edge 820

Post by BVSCRIV »

Hi - speed sensor pairing completed. Calibration ride completed by watching the lights on the Powerpod (v3). Confirmed on Isaac.
I can see wind readings, slope CdA etc on the Connect IQ app (so PP is definitely paired with the edge 820), but I can’t see my power reading anywhere (during the calibration I also did not get the 1 to 100 count - I just used the lights on the PP to go to the next step). Any ideas?
lorduintah

Re: No power reading on edge 820

Post by lorduintah »

Check to see if your power sensor is ANT or BLE. Only the ANT source gives you power.

You may need to disable the Power source and search again for a sensor - which needs to be the ANT sensor.
BVSCRIV

Post by BVSCRIV »

Morning - the power source is the Powerpod V3.
As described, the connection is there as I can see the power symbol lit up on the edge 820 and am receiving readings of slope and wind etc from the Connect IQ app. The only reading not being received is power.

Or have I misunderstood your response?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

BVSCRIV wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:12 am Morning - the power source is the Powerpod V3.
As described, the connection is there as I can see the power symbol lit up on the edge 820 and am receiving readings of slope and wind etc from the Connect IQ app. The only reading not being received is power.

Or have I misunderstood your response?
Try uninstalling the CdA screen, then reinstalling it. Make sure you select the correct power field.
John Hamann
BVSCRIV

Post by BVSCRIV »

Thanks John - can you confirm which the correct power field is? I think that may be exactly my problem!
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

When I first started using my Garmin 830, I searched for sensors and the Power sensor found was the bluetooth version - you need to look at the sensor details. PP V3 sends out Power using ANT. There can be two "sources" for this sensor. If you find that the one you have is the BLE, then disable it and search again - selecting the ANT version. Perhaps read the manual a bit more.
What version of the Garmin firmware do you have? I believe that it should be 4.1 - this is one of the first questions that Garmin etc support will ask.
BVSCRIV

Post by BVSCRIV »

So - did some research. Edge 820 only seems to use Bluetooth for phone connection - therefore the PP has to have been connected using ANT+.
I did the whole 12 second Button hold reset, re-paired speed sensor and did another calibration ride at now it works. No ide what went wrong first time around but thanks for the responses and helpful hints all the same.
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

Good to know --- since I have the 830, I was just guessing about the BLE, but the PP reset is a very reasonable and easy fix if it works. The Garmin computer to PP connections seem to have a few minor bugs left in them (one or both) - some of this is in the Garmin for sure. When I upgraded to firmware 4.1 in the Garmin, I had to do a full reset and it still left a few issues - so I think Garmin is still working out some kinks in their firmware. The same may be true for Garmin Connect IQ add-on features - they probably need to look for more issues in the developers package and how people (developers) are programming - a good reason for Velocomp to wait for the full ANT+ standard to be defined and adopted before they provide a better power/wind/slope data group (and CDA for the Aero version.
mir

Post by mir »

lorduintah wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:47 pm The Garmin computer to PP connections seem to have a few minor bugs left in them (one or both) - some of this is in the Garmin for sure. When I upgraded to firmware 4.1 in the Garmin, I had to do a full reset and it still left a few issues - so I think Garmin is still working out some kinks in their firmware. The same may be true for Garmin Connect IQ add-on features
Both PP and the Connect IQ data field works instantly on 520 so I am more reluctant to accuse Garmin 820/830 to have firmware problems. Anybody here to elaborate about 530?
Wobblydrow

Post by Wobblydrow »

I have a Garmin 530 bluetooth connection PP v3 to Garmin at same time as garmin to phone, no problems. Sensors connected over ANT.
My problem is the CDA screen sometimes gives a reading and sometimes, no matter how many times i reboot, comes up with zeros on every field....never had a power problem though
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Wobblydrow wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:40 am I have a Garmin 530 bluetooth connection PP v3 to Garmin at same time as garmin to phone, no problems. Sensors connected over ANT.
My problem is the CDA screen sometimes gives a reading and sometimes, no matter how many times i reboot, comes up with zeros on every field....never had a power problem though
Do you see zeroes, or dashes? ---
John Hamann
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

I just got a replacement 830 - the previous one had issues with the compass (possibly more than that.) I was never able to get the AeroPod Connect IQ app to work on the first 830 and have since only had one ride where this app worked on the replacement. (Wind and Slope worked)

Now, I am back to dashes, having removed and reinstalled the app file, rebooting the Garmin as well as the PP (V3).

I also had been using another app downloaded (which is a series of data fields being displayed) from Connect IQ and it has occasionally been flaky, too. Others have reported various problems and it seems that the firmware in the Garmin is at least contributing to all of this. Some of it may be the timing of when signals are ready and when the Garmin attempts to communicate - but I am only guessing. I also wonder if not being able to install the AeroPod app from within the Connect IQ environment is contributing to the issues here. Copying the Velocomp file into the app Folder on the Garmin may not do all the formal registering (as well as not using a HEX file name? that the Garmin process applies) - guess it will all be resolved at some point in the future.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

It appears that Garmin has recently released new FW that is causing the problems.

We will investigate and try to find out what is going on.
John Hamann
Wobblydrow

Post by Wobblydrow »

Apologies for the late reply. I see dashes not zeroes. As per previous post i have made on this one, perhaps one ride in 10 the values appear, no matter which order i turn the units on

BTW any chance you will put a version out for regular PP that just has slope and wind on?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Wobblydrow wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:48 am Apologies for the late reply. I see dashes not zeroes. As per previous post i have made on this one, perhaps one ride in 10 the values appear, no matter which order i turn the units on

BTW any chance you will put a version out for regular PP that just has slope and wind on?
Follow this procedure and I suspect you will be OK.

https://velocompforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=5274
John Hamann