Power Averaging include zeros?

kennyliu10

Power Averaging include zeros?

Post by kennyliu10 »

Does the power averaging in Isaac include Zeros?

I noticed the average power stated in Isaac is always higher than the average recorded in my Garmin. I set Power Averaging to include zeros on the Garmin, and want to know how it's calculated for the PowerPod/Isaac.

Thanks!
spangelsaregreat

Re: Power Averaging include zeros?

Post by spangelsaregreat »

Probably due to your PowerPod sending dynamic smoothing power to your Garmin while Issac shows you raw Power figures (which you can apply smoothing using the tab at the top).

I am sure John will confirm or clarify.

Also average Power does include zeros, its why they also give your normalised power which is a better representation of how hard you went (it shows what you power would be if you road at a consistent power over the whole ride).

Regards
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Power Averaging include zeros?

Post by Velocomp »

spangelsaregreat wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:38 pm Probably due to your PowerPod sending dynamic smoothing power to your Garmin while Issac shows you raw Power figures (which you can apply smoothing using the tab at the top).

I am sure John will confirm or clarify.

Also average Power does include zeros, its why they also give your normalised power which is a better representation of how hard you went (it shows what you power would be if you road at a consistent power over the whole ride).

Regards
We compute average power with zeros. Dynamic Power Smoothing will reduce peaks and valleys, causing the average on Garmin to be somewhat less.

I also agree that Normalized Power is a better representation of your "real" effort.
John Hamann