verification required: power seems low

Dampman

verification required: power seems low

Post by Dampman »

Hi, I'm a new PowerPod user (V3). Can you take a look at these two files, please? They're from the same ride, which PowerPod split. I've done a calibration ride but during the ride, I felt that the displayed power reading was far too low at times. Viewing the files in Issac shows that the wind speed is consistently lower than the wheel speed, so I'm guessing that I am not set up correctly. Is that right and how is this best rectified? Thanks.
Attachments
iBike_08_11_2019_1213_40_Miles.ibr
(486.8 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
iBike_08_11_2019_0829_45_Miles.ibr
(493.01 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: verification required: power seems low

Post by Velocomp »

Here is what I did:

1) I transferred both ride files to my computer and opened each of them separately. It looks to me like this was a long ride with a break in the middle.

2) Assuming my guess in 1) is correct, I opened the 0829 file, then used the "File/Combine-Split/Append" command to attach the 1213 file. This turns combines both ride files into a single, 84 mile ride file.

3) The combined ride file shows that wind speed is always below bike speed. This suggests either 1) you were in a group the entire ride or 2) your wind calibration is low.

4) I assumed this was a solo ride; if so, then the "Analyze/Check Calibration" command can fix the wind calibration. I used this command and got an updated profile and ride file (both attached).

To me, the wind data from the updated ride file looks fine, assuming that this was a solo ride.

If this WAS a solo ride, load the attached .ibp profile into your device; you will get much better results. If this was NOT a solo ride (you were in a pack) then do NOT load this profile into your unit; do a solo ride and post that ride file.
Attachments
Dampman.ibp
(502 Bytes) Downloaded 133 times
Dampman_corr_08_11_2019_0829_84_Miles.ibr
(1.32 MiB) Downloaded 158 times
John Hamann
Dampman

Post by Dampman »

John, many thanks for your advice. You are correct that this was a long ride. I wasn't in a big group but I was riding with two other cyclists so I'd be in the draft at times. As you suggest, I'll do a solo ride and upload that file for you to take a look at.
Dampman

Post by Dampman »

Hi John,

I decided to re-calibrate the PowerPod. Once this was done, I followed it with a solo ride, and I've uploaded that ride file for you to take a look at. The route I took was essentially an out and back (out predominantly into the wind and back predominately with a tail wind). I didn't start and finish in exactly the same place but I didn't draft at any time. I thought the power numbers displayed looked pretty good and tended to match my perceived effort, given my FTP. I did notice though that the power looked a little low at times with a strong tailwind (lower than my RPE) changing to more meaningful numbers after 30 seconds or so. What do you think?
Attachments
iBike_08_17_2019_1007_43_Miles.ibr
(476.22 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Dampman wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:40 am Hi John,

I decided to re-calibrate the PowerPod. Once this was done, I followed it with a solo ride, and I've uploaded that ride file for you to take a look at. The route I took was essentially an out and back (out predominantly into the wind and back predominately with a tail wind). I didn't start and finish in exactly the same place but I didn't draft at any time. I thought the power numbers displayed looked pretty good and tended to match my perceived effort, given my FTP. I did notice though that the power looked a little low at times with a strong tailwind (lower than my RPE) changing to more meaningful numbers after 30 seconds or so. What do you think?
This looks much better after re-doing your calibration.

However, your PP rotated in its mount at mile 22. It took 90 seconds to re-stabilize the reading; this is why your watts are low from mile 22 to 24.

To get a sense of the effects of wind I set averaging to 30 seconds. I think you are OK; on the return portion of the ride, where tail wind predominates, your watts are down a bit--but so is your heart rate.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 1.55.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 1.55.10 PM.png (190.58 KiB) Viewed 2299 times
John Hamann
Dampman

Post by Dampman »

Thanks for your help, John.