Newbie Questions

cmpalay

Newbie Questions

Post by cmpalay »

Hi I’m a newbie having had my powerpod v3 for just over a week. Firstly thanks for the great youtube videos and the wealth of information available on this forum it has enabled me to set up my powerpod on 2 separate bikes, I have added the AeroPod Cda, plus I have managed to tweak my profile settings to be much more accurate using your tutorial.

So to my questions:-
1. I can’t seem to figure out how to look at my pedal stroke balance in ISAAC but I’m pretty sure the powerpod is collecting this data so I would find it really useful to understand if I have any balance issues I need to work on. So could you point me at instructions or a youtube video for this please?
2. Along similar lines, I have a Garmin Edge 820 which has a cycling dynamics page that can show pedal stroke balance etc, as powerpod is collecting all this data can you let me know if this data is planned to be sent to the Garmin to allow real time feedback on pedal balance etc?

Thanks
Carl
mir

Re: Newbie Questions

Post by mir »

cmpalay wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:25 am So to my questions:-
1. I can’t seem to figure out how to look at my pedal stroke balance in ISAAC but I’m pretty sure the powerpod is collecting this data so I would find it really useful to understand if I have any balance issues I need to work on. So could you point me at instructions or a youtube video for this please?
2. Along similar lines, I have a Garmin Edge 820 which has a cycling dynamics page that can show pedal stroke balance etc, as powerpod is collecting all this data can you let me know if this data is planned to be sent to the Garmin to allow real time feedback on pedal balance etc?
To both of your questions: I think you need to buy the power stroke add-on. See: https://velocomp-llc.myshopify.com/prod ... ower-meter
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Glad you're enjoying your new PowerPod!

Here's a YouTube video link for PowerStroke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdPH29kkjsI

Garmin cannot display Powerstroke data.
John Hamann
cmpalay

Post by cmpalay »

Thanks for the response John but I wasn't actually talking about the pedal/power strokes, I was talking about individual leg power making sure I am in balance. I am sure I read that the powerpod is taking 300-600 measurements per minute so is able to calculate power from each leg, unfortunately I've read so much I can't find that but this is on your website ad for the powerpod:-

"INCREDIBLY AFFORDABLE

No other both-leg power meter comes close to matching the $299 MSRP of PowerPod v3."

Now the responses to my question seem to suggest I need to spend more money to get this, yet it is very clear from the text on your ad (Above) that you are stating I can get both-leg power with the investment in the powerpod v3 alone, not by having to spend more money.

Can you please clarify?

Also going back to my question about my garmin, this has the ability to show power phases of both left and right legs and I was asking whether powerpod sends this information (As you state you collect it) and if you don't when you will be planning on doing this?

Or, is it as I now suspect that none of this is possible without further investment?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

1. One-leg power meters, such as Stages or 4iii, have a sensor on one crank (generally the left crank). The sensor measures the power on the left leg only (because the sensor is attached to the left crank!) then multiply the measured left-leg power by two. That is, one-leg power meters assume the right leg produces the same amount of power as the left leg.

PowerPod measures the total power produced by both legs, because it is taking readings many times per second, as the cyclist turns the crank. This means that when your left leg is producing power, PowerPod is measuring the power produced by the left leg; when the right leg is producing power, PowerPod measures that power too. PowerPod sends its readings to the bike computer about once each second. That power number is the total power produced by both legs.

2. We have an optional feature called PowerStroke which measures the front/back and left/right acceleration of the cyclist as the crank is turned. This data is processed in Isaac software. It is not transmitted "live" to the bike computer.
John Hamann
kennyliu10

Post by kennyliu10 »

Hi John,

Just want to weigh in on the matter.

i think your advertisement is correct and valid. The powerpod is measuring continuously (both left and right stroke) so the power reading is like a conventional duo-side power meter, and will eliminate the error that can occur with single side power meter if the left and right stokes are not even.

However, the other benefit of having duo-side power meter is the ability to see live the balance between left and right strokes. I understand that feature is not available, but surely it can be done with ease..... or am i being naive? :)

If the powerpod's power stroke is switched on, and it can distinguish left and right stroke. Is it not a case of separate the numbers between left and right stroke from the PP, and send it live to the Garmin's device? Of cause, you will need to massage the data to match the Garmin's/ANT+ standard. But it can be done right?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Powerstroke is a really complicated measurement that requires the processing power of a regular computer. That's why we don't transmit Powerstroke readings directly from the device.
John Hamann