Wind, rain, & power

Wobblydrow

Wind, rain, & power

Post by Wobblydrow »

I went for a ride up the local mountain today and half way up encountered low cloud that was very wet. Powerpod was ok. After the descent i was getting ok readings on any positive gradient, but on the flat or anything negative was getting zero power, or just a few seconds of data even when pedalling. The file is recording wind speed all the way, but no power.

Is this due to the water being present in the wind sensor port? I did get a few drops out when i removed it and gave it a gentle shake. Mounted on handlebars offset from front wheel, but was riding behind others for a while that was throwing up road spray.

If the wind sensor shows its detecting wind then why doesnt a power get produced also?
Attachments
iBike_08_03_2019_0838_25_km.ibr
(182.83 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Wind, rain, & power

Post by Velocomp »

When the wind port is plugged by water, strange things happen to wind readings--and then to power.

You can use the command "Tools/Repair/Repair Ride for Blocked Wind Sensor" to get a better sense of your ride power. This command isn't perfect but it does a decent job of fixing things.

If you ride in the rain frequently, you might want to add a pitot tube to your setup. This will help prevent water blockage.

Of course, the other thing you can do is simply blow out the water that is logged in the port.

Water won't damage anything, but it is annoying.
John Hamann
Wobblydrow

Post by Wobblydrow »

Thanks

Still having a few problems (maybe), now everything is dried out & clean

I started a ride today and after a short rise over the next 3km drops ~45m in elevation. Despite pedalling at a constant cadence around 70rpm, unit was displaying zero watts. Is it expected that I should be seeing zero watts on that type of decent? (file - first 5km)
first 5km.ibr
(41.43 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
I thought it may be a calibration thing so redid a short calibration, and the main ride seemed better, but still getting zero watts on 1-2 % negative gradients, just doesnt seem right? (file - main ride)
main ride.ibr
(220.16 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
Then i returned and plugged in and selected "best" calibration ride, 10min O&B. The instruction says the powerpod after 5 min will turn red, and then yellow on the return leg. All i saw was counting from 1 - 100 and then regular power...what should a V3 powerpod be showing, is the instruction incorrect? Also the app data page that shows wind/incline/cda on my garmin shows all dashes, was working this morning no issue. (file - 10min O&B)
10min O&B.ibr
(44.67 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
Finally, whats the best way to set up a profile post ride, if i use "check calibration" and "send to bike" not all the parameters i change get held, especially my height. Whats the best way to change parameters - use the "edit profile" or the calibration check, do they do much different
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Your profile has a wind factor of 1.000 in it, which means an O&B calibration ride was not completed successfully.

I used your 10 minute ride with the Check Calibration command to get a good wind calibration. The updated profile is attached; load it into your device and you should get much better readings.

I also corrected your main ride file with the updated profile. Ride file attached.
Attachments
main ride corr.ibr
(279.21 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
Wobblydrow.ibp
(482 Bytes) Downloaded 141 times
John Hamann
rhinocommuneer

Post by rhinocommuneer »

Hi John. I want to bring to your attention that the author of the topic describes the same behavior of the calibration ride as I get (https://velocompforum.com/viewtopic.php ... 35&p=27750). This makes me think it's not a random inconvenience nor his/my fault.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

rhinocommuneer wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:53 am Hi John. I want to bring to your attention that the author of the topic describes the same behavior of the calibration ride as I get (https://velocompforum.com/viewtopic.php ... 35&p=27750). This makes me think it's not a random inconvenience nor his/my fault.
I looked at your original posting more carefully. Please see response. I don't think the issues are at all similar.
John Hamann