Upgraded to V3 PP - some setup advice

spangelsaregreat

Upgraded to V3 PP - some setup advice

Post by spangelsaregreat »

Hi,

Decided to do the upgrade to the V3 which i received today. Awaiting a Pitot tube to arrive from yourselves before I do the changeover from the V2.

Was looking for some advice on how to best do the change over.

I use the PowerPod on three bikes so my V2 has 3 profiles loaded on it. My thoughts on how to do the change over are:-

- Use ISSAC to transfer the existing profiles from my V2 PP to the new V3 PP.
- Doing one bike at time connect the V3 to the sensors on the bike.
- Do a new calibration ride for each bike

I have a few questions.

1 - If I load the existing profiles on to the V3 PP would that mean it will automatically connect to the sensors on the bike that are in the profile?
2 - Once the sensors are recognised I take it I will just need to search and connect the V3 PP to my Garmin 810.
3 - I am assuming if the sensors will automatically connect to the V3 PP without the need to do the manual search. Will I need to do this search anyway to force the calibration ride?

On an unrelated note, the V3 PowerPod appears to have slightly different GoPro tabs to my V2. It won't fit in the existing mount that came with my V2 or the 2 combined Garmin mounts I have (the V2 fits on them). Also it does not fit on the mount supplied with the unit (it is too tight to get the tabs into the mount). My V2 PP also does not fit in the mount supplied with the V3. However, I have a couple of eBay purchased GoPro mounts which the V3 does fit on. I have just ordered another one so I have a mount for each bike.

Have you had any issues with the V3 not fitting the supplied mount.

Finally I have PowerStroke on my existing V2, am I right in thinking that this would have only be transferred over if I had purchased the PP direct from you. Not a big issue as it is not something I use much.

Regards
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Upgraded to V3 PP - some setup advice

Post by Velocomp »

1) Yes. Note however that your wind calibration transferred is likely incorrect. I would recommend a new sensor pairing, which will force a cal ride

2) Yes

3) Yes, see answer above

I haven't heard of any mount issues with V3. You might try gently bending the tabs on your mounts.

If you did not order PS with your V3, then it isn't installed in it.
John Hamann
spangelsaregreat

Thanks for the usual quick response John, unfortunately just found out the power button does not work on the device. V3 connects to PC etc but when you disconnect it and press the button no lights come on. Tried a 12 second press to hard reset but no response. Button also does not feel right with no feedback.

Disappointing as I had to return 3 V2 devices when which were faulty on purchase and eventually only got a working one when Tom Gore intervened and sent me one direct from the factory. Your support is great but the QC does not seem to be the best.

I have contacted the seller (ProBikeKit.com) to request a new unit. Fingers crossed the button works and it fits the mount! I have attached an image of the mount, so you can see the issue. Looks like the PP tab gets too wide for the mount at the bottom. Same issue on my combined Garmin mounts but fine on the eBay handlebar mounts I have which are a bit wider. As I said even the V2 does not fit in this mount.

Regards
Attachments
20190727_141740[1].jpg
20190727_141740[1].jpg (73.02 KiB) Viewed 4184 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I'm sorry your button does not work.

If you spread the tabs apart just a bit on your mount you will get an easy fit.
John Hamann
spangelsaregreat

Hi,

Received the replacement PP V3 today and all good and in fully working order (first one definitely had a faulty button which had no feedback).

Copied my existing profiles across and it recognised the sensors etc immediately and paired with my Garmin 810 with no problems on both my road and commuting/winter/Swiss Army Knife bike. I have attached the a couple of images of the mounting on the road bike (on which I am using Giant RideSense which worked fine for anyone who has a Giant Bike, it is Garmin magnetless sensors on the other bike).
20190731_202905.jpg
20190731_202905.jpg (125.84 KiB) Viewed 4111 times
20190731_202819.jpg
20190731_202819.jpg (82.34 KiB) Viewed 4111 times
I have angled the PP V3 down slightly as recommended by John Hannan as the main reason I upgraded was to improve the use in the rain. Sods law on todays ride, despite thundery showers forecast it was very sunny (unusual for Scotland). So will need to wait for a wetter day to test that bit.

The unit is a bit bigger than I thought and the Pitot tube looks longer than the original AeroPod pictures I saw. However it sits well below the bars and under the Garmin so not to bad. I can also see the status light easily so good for calibrating etc. I did toy with trying to mount it below the stem but decided having it slightly offset should assist in keeping rain issue to a minimum. Just my OCD of having neatly hidden beneath the stem rather than a practical reason. Like my first PP V3 it does not fit in the supplied mount. I know John has suggested opening the mount tabs but I already had other eBay mounts fitted which take the PP V3 with out any issues. Having had tabs break off on my V2 PP I did want to force anything.

First ride was lumpy couple of hours with some efforts on the hills and the flats to see how it compares with the V2. Overall very similar, maybe a wee bit less lag in power changes but not a huge amount. Power figures were spot on compared to V2 and did not notice any odd readings on descents which I did get with the V2. However, that was an intermittent thing previously so need more rides to test that.

Ride file attached for info.
iBike_07_31_2019_1627_30_Miles.ibr
(534.48 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
So overall a promising start, will update in a week or so once I have done some more varied rides and hopefully catch a rainy day to fully test it.

Regards
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Ride file looks fine; so far so good!
John Hamann
awoodburn

Post by awoodburn »

ow often is this faulty power button happening. is there anything i can do to make sure it isn’t the button since i live in africa and its a mission to return stuff to usa.
the pp v3 sync with isaac, but no button press powers the unit on , tried the 4 sec pairing option, tried the 12s reset , tried the reset in isaac , nothing

ps how do i switch isaac to metric

thanks
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Ouch; if your button is not working then you'll need to have the device serviced. This is an uncommon problem.

To switch Isaac to metric, open a ride file. In the top right corner of the main window, to the right of the "Show" button click on "English", then select "Metric"
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Velocomp wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:20 pm Ouch; if your button is not working then may need to have the device serviced. This is an uncommon problem. Please email technicalsupport@velocomp.com for next steps.

To switch Isaac to metric, open a ride file. In the top right corner of the main window, to the right of the "Show" button click on "English", then select "Metric"
John Hamann