Need assistance on a ride file

naavt

Need assistance on a ride file

Post by naavt »

Hi John,

Need your assistance on some issues that I've got today please.

Trying to make things short but explaining you the details, I've picked up my PP bike today since my primary bike is in the LBS.

Have put another speed sensor on it (was previously running a Garmin which is in my primary now and used a Wahoo today). Synced the speed sensor to PP and it went like was making a calibration, counting from 1...

After a while it was reading power and I believed that everything was fine, since the unit always gathered credible power numbers for me. Nonetheless, a few minutes later in some efforts I've clearly saw that the power figures were all over the place. I was making 1700w in a sprint :o

At home I've tried to download the data and the second issue appeared. No GPS data (I have the upgrade installed), and what it seems to be 2 ride files instead of one (I assume this because I've arranged files by date added and I see no data with the kms I've made today).

Besides that, Isaac prompted me with 2 messages:

One stating that it found new wireless IDs in the device and if I would like to save them in my matching profile 6/22/18, which I've said yes.

The other stating that a new FW was available and that my currently installed version is 6.40.

To finish in style, I've forgotten to charge the unit and it didn't read the last 5 or 6 kms or so.

I'm sending you all these files including PP data but I've just seen that the browser doesn't let me upload the Wahoo Bolt FIT file. Is there any other way to share the file with you?

If you don't mind, can you please guide me through the steps of "normalizing" the ride data since I want to upload credible power data to my Training Peaks account?

Another question is: can I gather PP data and join that with the last bit of the ride where PP didn't recorded (probably from the Bolt file), and export that to Strava?

Thank you so much!
Attachments
iBike_06_13_2018_0455_47_km.ibr
(344.77 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
iBike_06_13_2018_0243_30_km.ibr
(211.48 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
iBike_05_01_2019_0812_0_km.ibr
(498.07 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Need assistance on a ride file

Post by Velocomp »

Yikes!

I see several problems:

1) Your HR strap is recording data only intermittently. This would not cause power problems but it makes me wonder about the quality of your pairing

2) There is the usual "noise" in the Wahoo speed sensor signal. This is not fatal, but...

3) There are speed sensor dropouts (where speed goes to zero). I suspect this is a cause of your wacky watts

4) I worry that your mount is not securely attached to the bike, or that PP is rotating on your mount. Either would also cause crazy watts

5) The dropouts in your speed signal may be causing the failure of GPS data to merge properly.

Other than that, everything seems to be OK... :roll:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-07-03 at 5.25.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-03 at 5.25.39 PM.png (155.46 KiB) Viewed 2691 times
John Hamann
naavt

Post by naavt »

Hi John,

Thanks for the quick reply. Answering your topics:

1. Its a Polar H10 and it's connected by Ant+ (not BT). I don't know but can the connection issue you mention be because of that?

2. I'm aware of that but never had these erratic power readings with it before.

3. Can it alter power figures so dramatically?

4. It's a K-Edge GoPro / Bolt combo mount. It's sturdy aluminium and it doesn't even permit PP to rotate as the original mount does, so the issue is certainly not from here. It even has been mounted on the same spot from the beginning.

5. Thanks for that input.

I don't know what figures is the ride files showing, but I can assure things are not ok. I'm posting a picture here for you to see the power metrics exported from PP to the Elemnt app.

I wish I could but never in my life I can put out 1760 watts in a sprint or do an easy ride (like this was for me), with a Normalized Power of 248 watts!

I've had some issues trying to find the files for today because of the bad calendar date of today's files. Did I sent you the wrong files?
Attachments
PP watts 3.07.2018.PNG
PP watts 3.07.2018.PNG (27.9 KiB) Viewed 2685 times
naavt

Post by naavt »

I've combined the 2 files and it shows 74 kms. There's about 2 kms missing (when PP battery died). Nonetheless, Isaac tells me that the FIT file from my Wahoo don't have GPS data (which is not true), and won't let me export to Strava.

That and all the fields from "Use from other ride file" are greyed out, except Distance. But even that it won't let me import from the FIT file and if I try Isaac shows me all data at Zeros.

From the picture I'm sending you can also see that HR data is good on the FIT file.
Attachments
iBike_06_13_2018_0243_74_km.ibr
(491.69 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
IMG_9138.PNG
IMG_9138.PNG (129.85 KiB) Viewed 2683 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I've looked at your ride file and I find it quite puzzling.

Where your watts go crazy there is a change in your tilt correction. But, you say, your mount is not moving at all...

By any chance are you riding on really rough roads?

I think you're saying that this is a recent problem. Please post some older ride files where you did not see this problem.

Your HR data remains weird. I don't trust Polar stuff very much; I don't think they do a good job of implementing ANT+ standards.
John Hamann