Please check this ride file..

TonySJ

Please check this ride file..

Post by TonySJ »

Hi,
The last few rides my PP has displayed a higher than normal Watts reading during the rides.
The attached file is a 16 mile Hard ride ( for the first 10 miles ) I did today which my Garmin state my FTP was 355 Watts. The last turbo trainer FTP I did was at the end of February after a 6 week intensive " Build " phase of sessions at 5 per week and was 305 Watts. These are for the 20 minutes test and will need the - 5% subtracting.
Now I haven't been on the turbo trainer for some months but ridden outside a lot more on my winter bike.
The attached file is on my Summer lighter bike which I changed to around 1 month ago but I have changed profiles in the PP so it should be OK.

Description of ride.
Anticlockwise circular 16 mile ride. Started ride Hard and first few miles tail wind, flatish for first 2 miles then incline from 2 to 3rd mile. Down hill to level for 3 to 10 miles into headwind but slightly to left side. This was near FULL ON for most of the 10 mile. Slowed from 10 miles to the end of ride.
Rider, 75KG, 178CM Summer bike and rider weight of 204lb, hoods, 700 x 25 tyres Schwalbe pro ones tubeless at 80 front 85 rear pressures.

If you could check the ride data against the above information as like I say My FTP from the ride has gone up considerable, Great if its accurate but I think there may be something slightly out on the set up.
Could you also advise me as occasionally my Garmin 1000 prompts a "Calibrate power meter" I'm never really sure about this but I always decline the calibration offer. Am I right in doing this?

Can you advise what I may need to do please. Thanks.
Regards.
Tony.
Attachments
iBike_06_05_2019_1326_18_Miles_HiDef.ibr
(591.21 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Please check this ride file..

Post by Velocomp »

It looks to me like your wind sensor is over-reporting watts.

I adjusted your profile down so that headwinds weren't so large.

Corrected profile and ride file attached.

You might want to do a new cal ride, just to check things.
Attachments
TonySJ.ibp
(418 Bytes) Downloaded 163 times
TonySJ_06_05_2019_1326_18_Miles_HiDef.ibr
(608.72 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
John Hamann
TonySJ

Post by TonySJ »

Velocomp wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:04 am It looks to me like your wind sensor is over-reporting watts.

I adjusted your profile down so that headwinds weren't so large.

Corrected profile and ride file attached.

You might want to do a new cal ride, just to check things.
Hi, Thanks for checking.

Do I need to alter anything, either in the set up of the PP or how its mounted on my bike regarding the profile for headwinds accurate?. Is there any info you can point me to that I can read up on for any future adjustments or is it best not to adjust things too much? I'm aware the PP needs to be level or its throws the figures out..I've mounted it like this in the past when changing over to different bikes lol.
Will do another Cal ride. Thanks.

Regards.

Tony
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Your mounting position is fine.

Try to do a cal ride when winds are not crazy-high, and you're not on a route with heavy traffic. Other than that I don't think you need to do anything else that is special.
John Hamann
TonySJ

Post by TonySJ »

Velocomp wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:00 am Your mounting position is fine.

Try to do a cal ride when winds are not crazy-high, and you're not on a route with heavy traffic. Other than that I don't think you need to do anything else that is special.
Hi John,
I've done a Cal ride and after a lengthy 60 plus miles ride it seems to have sorted the issue.
One thing I did notice was one of the handlebar cable was very near to the PP opening just to the left and level with the front of the opening, just 5 mm to the side. I'm not sure if this contributed to the high watts from the wind sensor or not but I've moved the offending cable and tied it to one of the other cables to keep it out of the way.
Thanks again.
Regards.
Tony.