Powerpod dropping to 0W after descents

jstrauss79

Powerpod dropping to 0W after descents

Post by jstrauss79 »

My PowerPod ANT/BTE seems to be accurate, and works well until I put in a 5-10 minute descent. It reads 0 watts as I descend, which is fine cause I am not tripping the cadence sensor (using ANT+ cadence and speed). The only issue is that it locks up on 0W afterward. I can turn off the unit and turn it back on, and I don't need to calibrate it, but it also then starts a new file. Any suggestions?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Powerpod dropping to 0W after descents

Post by Velocomp »

Hmm...please post a .ibr ride file showing this problem.
John Hamann
jstrauss79

Post by jstrauss79 »

Attached is part of a ride from yesterday where this happened again. I had to wait for a friend to join, so the unit fell asleep and I woke it up with one press of the button and began recording this file.

On the descent, it tends to stick to 0W unless you really go at it, which I get, since gravity is doing most of the work. But then at the end, it just goes to 0 and the file gets cut.

Following this, I turn off the unit (5 presses, LED does stoplight colors) and then turn it on with one press. The first time it went up to about 200W for a few seconds and dropped back to 0W. The next several times I went through this process, it just reports 0W constantly.

I am pairing to a Elemnt Bolt, with a magnetic speed and cadence from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/CooSpo-Cadence-C ... B07BSTJWD2

Note: tried the garmin magnetless speed and cadence and didn't have much luck. I have two of these style sensors seem to be consistent with pairing.
Attachments
iBike_05_29_2019_1242_13_Miles_HiDef.ibr
Sunshine Canyon from Mapleton/30th.
(646.86 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
jstrauss79

Post by jstrauss79 »

Forgot to mention, after this happens it doesn't seem to write anything to to memory. So there isn't a file with 0W throughout.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

In the ride file you posted, speed abruptly dropped to zero at the end. It looks like your speed sensor stopped functioning. This would cause the ride file to stop recording.

Do the following:

1) Make sure the speed sensor is mounted on the front wheel hub

2) Replace speed sensor battery

3) When installing the new battery, momentarily put it in backwards. This does a hard reset of the sensor. Then, install the battery normally

Hopefully this will fix things.
John Hamann
jstrauss79

Post by jstrauss79 »

Thanks John,
I will try that out.