Newb questions

Alibi

Newb questions

Post by Alibi »

Been using a pp for the past 4 months. Initially I just slapped it on, did the calibration and started riding ... Happy days.

Now based on an estimated ftp of 244, I get the feeling the pp may be reading low. I've started looking into Isaac and setup a new profile and did an out and back. No real difference in measurements from what I can tell.

Questions:

When removing the pp for charging and refitting, should I recalibrate to ensure accuracy or will the pp adjust itself to account for any minor variations?

My bike is a home build mongrel, CX frame, MTB bars, 1x drivetrain and hydro disc brakes. What riding position and mount position should I be setting in Isaac?

Is there a comprehensive guide I can read through? Everything I've found covers only the very basics.
Alibi

Re: Newb questions

Post by Alibi »

Can anyone help me? I'm keen to understand this a little better.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Alibi wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:13 am Can anyone help me? I'm keen to understand this a little better.
Sorry, I missed this post.

Here is where you can find comprehensive instructions for PowerPod. Check them out; if you can't find your answer in the documentation let us know your specific question.

https://velocompforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5082
John Hamann
Alibi

Post by Alibi »

Thanks for that. I've read through those guides but I'm still not sure whether I've setup the pp profile correctly.

I understand the choice, surface, pp location and crr? All have impacts on the actual measurement. Is there some way to check it's setup accurately without comparing it to another power meter?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Alibi wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:08 am
I understand the choice, surface, pp location and crr? All have impacts on the actual measurement. Is there some way to check it's setup accurately without comparing it to another power meter?
Your question begs another question: If you did have another power meter on your bike, how would you know your other power meter was correct? :D It's not as silly a question as you might think: any measurement instrument needs to be set up, calibrated, and functioning properly. Right now I have another power meter on my bike which I KNOW is not working properly...because it provides ridiculous CdA measurements.

If you've entered the correct parameters (weight, height, ride position, road type) as part of your setup you are OK. Your measurements will be consistent, and improvements you make will be measured accurately.
John Hamann
Alibi

Post by Alibi »

Thanks John,

It's road type and ride position in not sure of.

Because this isn't a typical road bike setup, I've selected hoods as ride position because I'm on a flat bar. I've selected rough ashfelt as the road type though I ride a mix of smooth road and course gravel. I'm not sure if these are right.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Alibi wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:11 am Thanks John,

It's road type and ride position in not sure of.

Because this isn't a typical road bike setup, I've selected hoods as ride position because I'm on a flat bar. I've selected rough ashfelt as the road type though I ride a mix of smooth road and course gravel. I'm not sure if these are right.
They are good choices for your riding conditions.
John Hamann