Powerpod data all over the show

pieterkiwi

Powerpod data all over the show

Post by pieterkiwi »

Hi,

I just received my powerpod yesterday and went through the setup process as follows

Install Isaac
Did initial setup using Isaac
Upgrade firmware in isaac
Ensure trainer mode is turned off
Replaced batteries on my speed and cadence sensor
Discovered speed and cadence sensor.
Went out on calibration ride, worked exactly as per manual.

So here is where things went wrong.

I have an FTP of around 220w tested on both Tacx and kicr smart trainers using zwift and also suffer-fest. My max power on zwift is around 600w. For me thats around 3w/kg or 2.6w if I add my bike weight

With the powerpod I did an out and back 22km ride. The first part of the ride some of the numbers were unrealistically high, EG; 1132 watts freewheeling down hill and in some cases way over 300w on flats and uphill sections showing 400+ watts when just pedaling lightly

On the return ride it started similar to the out ride but then suddenly the numbers dropped to the point where I was doing 10km/h up a 4% incline and PP said I was doing 35w in some cases going 20+km on 1% and its reading 3watts. Some of the hills (climbing) I was also getting 0w for several minutes at a time and occasionally low numbers but the power numbers I got seemed to be linked to how fast I was going and didnt seem to take into account the gradient yet in isaac it shows the gradient so the sensor seems to be working.

I did 2 calibration rides O/B, did the 2nd one because the numbers looked high after the first so did a repeat callibration but numbers didnt look any different after that.

Using a Garmin edge 520 and Garmin speed sensor on front hub and cadence on left crank.

whats going on.

Any help appreciated
Attachments
iBike_02_23_2019_0812_22_km.ibr
(191.01 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
190223_cal_data.ibcd4m
(305.92 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Powerpod data all over the show

Post by Velocomp »

Your wind data looks odd, and your wind calibration factor is quite high.

Is there anything obstructing your wind port?
John Hamann
pieterkiwi

Post by pieterkiwi »

nothing obstructing the wind port, it was mounted out front under my garmin. I have now moved it to the handlebar and re-calibrated, still nothing obstructing wind port.

Did 2x4km laps, uphill data looked a lot more accurate but flat and downhill data read very low when on power. when Im expecting to see numbers of 150+ im getting 0 on the flat. another problem is after this ride there is no ride file. all I have is my garmin .fit file
Attachments
3406586175.zip
(66.53 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Hmm...I can't open your .fit file (need a .ibr file, which I understand you don't have).

Please hard reset your device (press-hold button for about 10 seconds, until light stops flashing, then turns on again...release button.)

Then record a new ride file.

When/where did you buy your unit?
John Hamann
pieterkiwi

Post by pieterkiwi »

I bought it from https://www.probikekit.co.uk, Arrived in New Zealand yesterday by courier. Have done the hard reset and went through the setup process again. Calibration didn't go well, After findingthe sensors the unit switched to solid yellow light and after riding it wouldn't go to flashing red/green, just stayed solid yellow and then counted watts to 100 but no calibration file. after a few resets and fiddling with it for a while I got it to calibration mode and did an o/b ride. Looks a bit better now. I will take it for a ride tomorrow. Please have a look at these and let me know what you think.
Attachments
iBike_07_20_2018_0007_8_km.ibr
(118.32 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
190223_cal_data3.ibcd4m
(683.74 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Your wind sensor is not getting very strong wind information. Either your wind port is obstructed or your unit is malfunctioning.

Please post images showing how your device is mounted.
John Hamann
pieterkiwi

Post by pieterkiwi »

Here you go. attached pictures are of the 2 positions I have. First I had the PP out front under my garmin mount with nothing in front or to the sides. Now I have it under the Handlebars on the left side and cables are out of the way, cable tied so that they font get in front of the PP during my ride.
Attachments
IMG-5365.JPG
IMG-5365.JPG (68 KiB) Viewed 5519 times
IMG-5366.JPG
IMG-5366.JPG (92.07 KiB) Viewed 5519 times
IMG-5367.JPG
IMG-5367.JPG (72.54 KiB) Viewed 5519 times
pieterkiwi

Post by pieterkiwi »

another image
Attachments
IMG-5364.JPG
IMG-5364.JPG (86.18 KiB) Viewed 5519 times
pieterkiwi

Post by pieterkiwi »

today's ride
Attachments
iBike_02_24_2019_1039_39_km.ibr
(496.18 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Sorry to say so but I think your wind sensor is misbehaving.

Please email technicalsupport@velocomp.com for next steps.
John Hamann
pieterkiwi

Post by pieterkiwi »

Thanks I have sent the mail.

Can you please check this file. I moved the PP to the front position again and did a new calibration ride. It went through the calibration okay but I don't seem to be able to download a calibration file, not sure what im doing wrong. This is my ride file. Its 2 laps of the same circuit steep hill and then down again. First lap was a hard ride up the hill and 2nd time was an easy lap.
Attachments
iBike_02_25_2019_1748_9_km.ibr
(127.85 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Actually, this ride file looks OK, and your wind scaling is normal, too.

I would do a few more rides, and post them here, before sending in your unit.

We don't record calibration ride files anymore; they are unnecessarily confusing.
John Hamann
pieterkiwi

Post by pieterkiwi »

Thanks John,

I will go for another ride tomorrow and then post the data here. Would be good if we can get it sorted so that I don't have to send it in :)
pieterkiwi

Post by pieterkiwi »

here we go, this is an out and back ride i did today, a bit of a cross wind mostly. Please let me know what you think.
Attachments
iBike_02_27_2019_1626_21_km.ibr
(258.41 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I looked at your file and did some cross-checking with some analytical sites. Your power numbers are spot-on.

I think your device is operating just fine, and your calibration parameters are normal.

I can see the cross winds!
John Hamann
pieterkiwi

Post by pieterkiwi »

Thanks John,

I'm also happy with the numbers, they are where I expect them to be and there were no abnormal highs or lows.

Thanks for the help, I'm glad I don't have to send the unit in for repair :)