Is there an issue with my PowerPod?

kq6up

Is there an issue with my PowerPod?

Post by kq6up »

I have sent my PowerPod in for repair because I was getting wild wind calibration results. They reset it, and sent it back. I now have an AeroPod, and am only interested in this thing for possible use on my wife's bike. However, if it is wildly inaccurate (even after careful attempts at calibration), I can just use the power data generated by Strava, and/or use it on the indoor trainer to derive power for my wife (or when I don't feel like taking my AeroPod or DFPM off my other bike). The wind data seems to be the culprit. I get wild swings in windspeed even on a calm day. This causes the CdA value in the estimate CdA function to generate wild fluctuations in estimated CdA. Trying to produce a reliable scaling factor is impossible because each cal ride creates a drastically different wind scaling factor. If the wind follows the wheel speed for slow rides, it lags on faster paces. This makes me feel like the windspeed sensor is not responding in a linear fashion. Since I have no other PowerPod to compare it to (now that I have DFPM), I am wondering if it is an inherent limitation with the PowerPod, or it is broken and can be repaired to function in a reasonable/usable way. The tab is now broken, and I am debating if it is worth sending it in as I don't need to mount it for use indoors on the trainer. It still works fine for this function. If it can be restored to a reasonable power meter for a reasonable price, I will send it in to get fixed. See the attached files for reference. One ride is on a super windy day, and the other ride is on a very calm day. Notice that the wind data is still really crazy.

Thanks,
Chris Maness
iBike_01_01_2019_0838_15_Miles_Tweaked.ibr
(300.42 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
iBike_12_30_2018_1225_7_Miles_Tweaked.ibr
(141.53 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
Synapse_PowerPod_2-2-19_the_best_i_can_do.ibp
(769 Bytes) Downloaded 169 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Is there an issue with my PowerPod?

Post by Velocomp »

This is a bit of a confusing post:

1) This seems to be about your PowerPod, though you say you have an AeroPod (too?).

2) You say you sent your PowerPod back for repair. What repair was done, and when? I don't see any record of a repair in our system. My recollection is that you had a broken tab...

3) You have two ride files, dated 12/30 and 1/1. Were these rides done before your repair?

4) What does "reset it" mean?

5) I don't understand what you are doing with the "estimate CdA" function

6) Your unit was manufactured in July 2016, so it is a fairly old unit and it is not under any warranty

I agree that the wind data is very suspicious; I think something is wrong with your wind sensor. You won't be able to "fix" this problem by adjusting wind scaling.

To resolve this problem the circuit board will need to be replaced.
John Hamann
kq6up

Post by kq6up »

Velocomp wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:50 pm This is a bit of a confusing post:

1) This seems to be about your PowerPod, though you say you have an AeroPod (too?).

2) You say you sent your PowerPod back for repair. What repair was done, and when? I don't see any record of a repair in our system. My recollection is that you had a broken tab...

3) You have two ride files, dated 12/30 and 1/1. Were these rides done before your repair?

4) What does "reset it" mean?

5) I don't understand what you are doing with the "estimate CdA" function

6) Your unit was manufactured in July 2016, so it is a fairly old unit and it is not under any warranty

I agree that the wind data is very suspicious; I think something is wrong with your wind sensor. You won't be able to "fix" this problem by adjusting wind scaling.

To resolve this problem the circuit board will need to be replaced.
Sorry for the confusion. I will answer your questions:

1. Yes, I have both.

2. This was a while back (July 2018). Here is the pertinent info from Tom:

"Send me the ride file. I reset your entire unit, and reprogrammed it to factory defaults. With the latest firmware, cal rides are NOT recorded, since data in the cal ride is not reflective of the proper calibration. This data is not correct, until the following ride Post calibration.

Ride Safe,
Tom Gore"

3. The tab is not repaired yet. These were before it broke. It has been acting weird for some time, and that is when I decided to get a DFPM. I have been using the PowerPod with pretty good results, but the thing started really frustrating me as I did not have any standard to check it against. The power data was just becoming too unbelievable. Purchasing the DFPM really showed me how poorly it was operating. I also wanted to do some CdA measurements, but you can see how bad the CdA data is. I purchased the AeroPod as I was curious about how significant the improvements were with the wind measurements (if they weren't that much better I was going to return it). I was happy to see they are greatly improved. The wind tracks perfectly with my wheel with my new AeroPod.

4. See Tom's comment above in #2.

5. If I don't change position and the PowerPod is functioning properly, there should be some noise but not having the CdA all over the place with the average shifting different directions in different parts of the ride. That tells me something is off.

6. I understand it is not under warranty. Is it worth getting repaired? It is useful to have the AeroPod and the PowerPod, as I don't necessarily want to keep moving units between the three bikes I regularly ride. However, it is fine for the trainer. What would be the cost to repair the wind sensor when the unit is open for the tab repair?

Thanks,
Chris Maness
kq6up

Post by kq6up »

I would like to follow up with this post.

Thanks,
Chris Maness
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

The wind sensor is not operating properly; this is causing all your odd results.

If you have your PP repaired you should get wind stability comparable to your AeroPod.

Please email technicalsupport@velocomp.com for next steps.
John Hamann