PowerPod mount flange broke

kq6up

PowerPod mount flange broke

Post by kq6up »

I guess from wear and tear of switching bikes, one of my power pod mounting flanges broke. I now have an AeroPod. The main difference I notice (other than realtime CdA) the wind data is WAY better, and the scaling factor works for all wind speeds. I am not sure I want to get it repaired. Should the wind scaling factor be exactly linear? I have noticed that the scaling factor depends on speed for my PowerPod (it should be a constant). If do a calibration ride where lower speed wheel speeds match the wind data when the air is perfectly calm, I always show a tailwind when I bomb down the hill at 35mph.

I am wondering if something else is wrong with my PowerPod (other than the flange), or if this an inherent issue with the limitations of the device. If I can get it dialed in steady state within 3-4%, I would like to use it on another bike. So far, I have not been successful -- power fluctuates with the slightest crosswind. Sometimes power drops for reasons unknown.

Regards,
Chris Maness
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: PowerPod mount flange broke

Post by Velocomp »

It sounds like:

1) your PP has a broken tab

2) You are questioning the linearity of PP wind sensor

We have not seen any data that shows PP wind data is non-linear, but we do agree the AP wind port design is an improvement. Cross-wind performance of AP is also improved.

By the way... the iPhone X is better than the iPhone 6 (the very fine product Apple was shipping in quantity when PP was introduced)..that's the nature of hi-tech progress!
John Hamann
kq6up

Post by kq6up »

Velocomp wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:21 pm 1) your PP has a broken tab
How much to fix this issue on the PP? When I get it fixed, I will see if I can do a cal ride, then bomb a hill to reproduce the issue.

Thanks,
Chris Maness
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Please email technicalsupport@velocomp.com for next steps.
John Hamann