PP newbie help - calibration, interpreting Issac results

scuba_cyclist

PP newbie help - calibration, interpreting Issac results

Post by scuba_cyclist »

First attempt to use, calibrate a PowerPod ANT.

Garmin Edge 1000
New magnet-less Garmin speed and cadence sensors
Garmin HRM

Struggled a bit to understand how to properly setup the PP, review the O&B data, other results.

I first rode to what was considered an appropriate location, was eventually successful initiating the calibration process. I believe this is the first ibr file, which corresponds approximately to the 22 minute point in the attached fit file. Weather was less than ideal, I was a bit concerned that variable winds may have resulted in erroneous results, indicated by what appeared to be lower than expected power readings when climbing small inclines versus relatively flat sections.
I then decided to try again, in another area, believed to be better sheltered from the wind, which should be represented by the second ibr file. It took several attempts to properly initiate the calibration process; Garmin would start counting watts, return to zero after reaching 5; appeared to be resolved by pushing the PP button after the yellow LED changes to alternating red and green. I believe this corresponds to about the 54 minute point in the fit file. To my uneducated eye, without the full understanding of how to interpret the Issac data, the empirical perception from slope, cadence and HRM data do not seem to correlate properly with power, wind appears to have an excessive influence.

Attached are the only ibr files found on the PP, along with a zipped fit file from the Garmin Edge 1k.

I would be most grateful for any guidance, recommendations.
Attachments
2018-12-31-13-49-34.zip
(96.82 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
iBike_10_08_2018_0041_4_Miles.ibr
(65.2 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
iBike_10_08_2018_0004_5_Miles.ibr
(107.84 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: PP newbie help - calibration, interpreting Issac results

Post by Velocomp »

Your second ride has correct wind calibration.

However, both rides show evidence of changing mount angle. What kind of bike are you using? Please post images of your mount setup.
John Hamann
scuba_cyclist

Post by scuba_cyclist »

Thank you for the reply.

Ritchey Breakaway Road Bicycle, with a stem extension mount. Lightweight steel frame, carbon bars and fork.
Breakaway-Stem-Extension-re.gif
Breakaway-Stem-Extension-re.gif (302.72 KiB) Viewed 1840 times
Garmin Edge sits on top, PP mounted to GoPro fitting on the bottom. I was not 100% sure as to proper PP positioning, was reluctant to tighten too hard, rick cracking one or both of the mount fittings.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

scuba_cyclist wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:54 pm I was not 100% sure as to proper PP positioning, was reluctant to tighten too hard, risk cracking one or both of the mount fittings.
Your mount looks fine.

However, if your PP can rotate AT ALL in the mount, that will cause problems. Don't worry about cracking the mount fittings; they will hold-up.
John Hamann