O&B ride and sensor pairing

FrankH

O&B ride and sensor pairing

Post by FrankH »

Hi John, I have a couple of questions:
1. In January I will be going to China and setting up Powerpod on a different bike so I'll need to do an out & back ride. The roads where I ride in China are wide, with cycle lanes at each side so the "back" part of the ride would be four traffic lanes away from the "out" part. Would this be a problem? Do I need to find a different road?
2. In answer to this question: https://velocompforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=26133#p26133 you say:
"3) Press-hold the button for 4 seconds. A green light will start flashing, indicating pairing process. Release the button. The light will continue to flash. If you have a crank-mounted cadence sensor, the device will flash red 3 times when the sensor is found, then continue to flash green. If you have a DFPM, the light will flash yellow 3 times when the DFPM is found. When the speed sensor is found the light will show solid green, then go out."
So cadence = 3 x red, DFPM (which I won't be using) = 3 x yellow, speed = solid green then out. How, if at all, does it indicate pairing with HRM?

Thanks
Frank
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: O&B ride and sensor pairing

Post by Velocomp »

1. Wow, send some ride files from China! It sounds like a safe out-and-back might be a problem, so you can "cheat" as follows: try to pick a day where there is not a huge amount of wind. Ride the "out" portion. When you get to the turn-around point, STOP, then continue riding in the same direction. Hopefully there won't be much wind, so you will get a pretty good calibration. You can post the ride file and I will check it (after do another ride and post that one too).

2. We don't have a light indicator for HR strap (sorry!).
John Hamann
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

Hi John
I've remembered a quiet, flat, single lane road close to where I'll be staying but it's only about half a mile long. How fast do I need to go? At 10 mph that's about 3 minutes. Will that be long enough for a calibration ride? Is it time based or distance based?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

FrankH wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:21 am Hi John
I've remembered a quiet, flat, single lane road close to where I'll be staying but it's only about half a mile long. How fast do I need to go? At 10 mph that's about 3 minutes. Will that be long enough for a calibration ride? Is it time based or distance based?
That should be fine. The out portion is about 3 ½ minutes; you can return at any speed you like.
John Hamann
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

Hi John

Here's the first ride file from China. I think my cadence sensor didn't pair with the PowerPod so I'll most likely have to try again and do another calibration ride. The power numbers look about right.

NB The ride would have been a bit longer but I forgot to fill my water bottle. :roll:
Attachments
2019_02_03_1002_5_Miles.ibr
(66.11 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Perfect!
John Hamann
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

And here's the second calibration ride, this time with the cadence sensor paired. Powerpod seems to think I had a tailwind for both parts of an out and back ride, which is strange.

Here's the ride on Strava. (The first ride didn't upload to Strava so it didn't happen. :D) https://www.strava.com/activities/2124981888

P.S. Happy New Year. :)
Attachments
2019_02_05_1142_5_Miles.ibr
(76.45 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

I'm still not convinced of the PowerPod's accuracy on downhills. I often find my display showing 0 watts when I know I'm putting power through the pedals. The attached file shows this quite well at about 14 miles. You can see that the cadence increases then drops a few times I'm changing up through the gears and my speed is increasing yet PowerPod records mostly 0 watts even though, as I said, I know I was putting power through the pedals.
I have to admit, power on the flat and especially uphill is more important to me, it stops me hitting the bottom of the hill too hard but it would be nice to have the downhill working properly.
Attachments
2019_02_08_1000_26_Miles.ibr
(355.56 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

On downhills slope is the primary force causing you to go faster. You can pedal but your effort is not much compared to good old gravity!

Your PP looks to be properly calibrated but any small difference in riding position or wind is amplified on downhills.

You can do what most riders do...coast on downhills and recover a bit!
John Hamann
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

Most of the time I do coast on downhills, but every now and again I like to see how fast I can go and it's a little disconcerting to feel I'm putting in lots of effort and have PowerPod tell me 0 watts or 10 watts or something equally silly. I know I'm putting out more power than that. It would be nice if it showed believable power downhill but as I said before, downhill power isn't all that important to me, I'm more interested in my power up hills and PowerPod seems to be accurate for that.

And any fool can go fast downhill, as I prove time and time again. :lol:
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

I updated the profile on the PowerPod, I've lost a couple of kg ( :) ), and the next ride it made me do another calibration. Is that normal? :?:

Also, it didn't pick up the cadence sensor, I would have expected it to remember that from the last time. Is that normal? :?:

EDIT: I've been thinking. Should I have extracted the profile from the PowerPod, then updated it and sent it back? I suppose that would explain why it didn't save the cadence sensor,
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

FrankH wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:11 am I updated the profile on the PowerPod, I've lost a couple of kg ( :) ), and the next ride it made me do another calibration. Is that normal? :?:

Also, it didn't pick up the cadence sensor, I would have expected it to remember that from the last time. Is that normal? :?:

EDIT: I've been thinking. Should I have extracted the profile from the PowerPod, then updated it and sent it back? I suppose that would explain why it didn't save the cadence sensor,
1) If you did a new sensor pairing, you will need to recalibrate. If you updated your weight in "Device Setup" and selected best accuracy, you will need to do a new cal ride

2) Adjusting weight should not affect sensor memory. If you do a new scan to pick up your cadence sensor you will need to do one more cal ride...
John Hamann
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

Just getting my head round profiles.
I set up a profile in Isaac, send it to PowerPod then do a sensor pairing.
At this stage, the profile in Isaac doesn't "know" about the sensors but the profile in PowerPod does.
If I want to modify the profile (e.g. new slimline me :) ) I should extract it from PowerPod, update it, then send it back to PowerPod.

Is that substantially correct?

I had another thought. :)

I extracted the profile from an earlier ride checked the sensors and it has speed and cadence, modified that and sent it to PowerPod. I think that should do the trick without having to do another calibration. We'll see, the proof of the pudding... etc.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

FrankH wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:51 am Just getting my head round profiles.
I set up a profile in Isaac, send it to PowerPod then do a sensor pairing.
At this stage, the profile in Isaac doesn't "know" about the sensors but the profile in PowerPod does.
If I want to modify the profile (e.g. new slimline me :) ) I should extract it from PowerPod, update it, then send it back to PowerPod.

Is that substantially correct?

I had another thought. :)

I extracted the profile from an earlier ride checked the sensors and it has speed and cadence, modified that and sent it to PowerPod. I think that should do the trick without having to do another calibration. We'll see, the proof of the pudding... etc.
Yes, your procedure is correct. You can change the profile in the Edit Profiles menu, and resend it to your device.
John Hamann