Should be a simple fix

Rharben

Should be a simple fix

Post by Rharben »

Hi
I have had a power pod for 6 months or so and have had a considerable amount of success but have alas lost my way a bit recently - I wonder if anybody can advise.
I used the PP on my day to day racer (with Garmin Speed and seperate cadence monitor) for a few months with good results - when I say good I mean understandable and believable given my only other point of reference for power - which was a very professional indoor spin bike where my ftp was checked 3 times at 230 approx (over a couple of months). At this stage I was using training schedules based on power and I saw an improvement in my cycling. After a few months I added a second profile on to the PP for my carbon racer which is a Giant and has the Giant speed and cadence monitor (which I believe are not recommended). I felt that the power readings on the Giant carbon racer were always a little high - maybe 10-15% - occasionally I lost connection altogether during a ride but never for long (I have purchased another Garmin Speed and Cadence monitor but haven't applied them yet). At the point that I added the second profile to the PP I saw a change in the results when I used the original bike where the readings felt 15-20% below where I would expect (I do accept that indoor and outdoor power is different). I wonder if anyone can help me to get the calibration correct? Am I the only person to find the Isaac software a bit confusing? I have applied the most recent update (same lower perceived power readings) I don't intend using the carbon racer for the next few months so will only be using 1 bike (the original one) is it best to start afresh (how?) or to change my profile 1 and recallibrate (even that I failed to do recently).
As I say in the subject this should be a simple fix - I am not expecting 100% accuracy as I am a 50+ recreational rider - but I bought the PP to train more cleverly and am struggling to find a reliable setting- I also live in the flat Fenlands of Cambridgeshire (UK) and hills will not over-complicate this. I am really looking forward to getting back on track with the PP -any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Should be a simple fix

Post by Velocomp »

If you have installed Isaac, please download some .ibr ride files and post them. We will take a look!
John Hamann
Rharben

Post by Rharben »

Hi John
Thanks for the reply -
I have added 2 short rides from yesterday (weather pretty grim here at present) - the 4 mile ride was to work and the 3 mile ride was returning
The bike was my day to day racer (profile 1) with the Garmin Speed monitor (on front wheel hub) and Garmin cadence monitor (no magnet)
I successfully applied the last update to PP prior to the rides (it failed when I tried a few weeks back which is why I wondered if a fresh start would be desirable)
One thing I have noticed tonight is that my Garmin connect info for all the rides do not match the Isaac info (since I use Training Peaks and Strava and they are in line with Garmin I find that strange).
Hope you have enough to hint what is causing the low reading - if not I can soon get out and get a new ride file for the ali bike (although I will be pleased to leave the Giant carbon bike out of the equation until April 2019 and will disconnect the ridesense and fit new garmin monitors at that time)

Look forward to your reply
Attachments
iBike_12_02_2018_1624_4_Miles.ibr
(53.74 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
iBike_12_02_2018_2305_3_Miles.ibr
(37.97 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Your calibration is fine, but I notice that your rider information is the factory default value of 205 pounds total weight, and .369 CdA. Is this correct for you?
John Hamann
Rharben

Post by Rharben »

Hi John
Thanks for your reply and looking at the files.
Re the settings - I weigh 182lbs - I just looked at spec for bike and it doesn’t quote a weight - so maybe 205 pounds is right (it’s a £500 Giant Contend Ali road bike)
Sorry have to be honest and say I have no idea what the .369 CdA means - it’s not a setting I would have altered manually.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

How tall are you? Are you riding a road bike?
John Hamann
Rharben

Post by Rharben »

I am 5ft 11 and yes road bike which I generally ride up on the hoods.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Your rider settings are perfect.

I do not see anything from your ride file that suggests your watts are incorrect.
John Hamann
Rharben

Post by Rharben »

OK John - thanks for checking the files - maybe my ftp is lower than I expected.
At the start of the thread I stated that my other bike (the lighter carbon road bike) was registering high power readings (or higher than I was expecting)
I have added a recent file - please could you check this for me - this was using the ridesense speed and cadence monitor which agreed isnt ideal (but I assume it should deliver reasonable figures if it transmits to the PP and head unit consistently).I will swap this out for a new Garmin speed and cadence monitor before using again.
Attachments
iBike_10_18_2018_1911_24_Miles.ibr
(247 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Rharben wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:46 pm OK John - thanks for checking the files - maybe my ftp is lower than I expected.
At the start of the thread I stated that my other bike (the lighter carbon road bike) was registering high power readings (or higher than I was expecting)
I have added a recent file - please could you check this for me - this was using the ridesense speed and cadence monitor which agreed isnt ideal (but I assume it should deliver reasonable figures if it transmits to the PP and head unit consistently).I will swap this out for a new Garmin speed and cadence monitor before using again.
Your ride sense is working fine but your wind calibration is off. You have a default wind scaling value in your ride file. This means your unit was not calibrated for this ride. Your Wind scaling is a bit high, which would make your watts high.
John Hamann
Rharben

Post by Rharben »

Thanks again John
Sorry to be a numpty but what would you suggest as best way of adjusting wind setting or would you recommend re calibrating that bike profile?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Here is the corrected ride file and profile.
Attachments
RharbenJRH_10_18_2018_1911_24_Miles.ibr
(384.38 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
Rharben.ibp
(567 Bytes) Downloaded 134 times
John Hamann
Rharben

Post by Rharben »

Hi John
Further to your last message (admittedly a long while ago but I havent used the carbon bike with pp profile with the incorrect settings until recently)
How do I apply the files you were good enough to send?
I have been using the power pod for my winter trainer bike consistently and it has worked very well (helps to know that you checked it) = I am very loathe to interfere with the correct profile by messing up altering the incorrect one
Thanks in advance

BTW - I am awaiting help from customer support as my power pod wont charge (flash red ) unless I hold the usb in tight and at a bit of an angle - I read your answer to another post with the contributor having the same problem and sent an email yesterday.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Please check your spam folder. There is a 99.9% chance that Tom has responded, and that his response is there... :D

If you have a USB problem let's get that checked out before proceeding with other modifications. You will need to send in your unit for inspection.

If you don't see a quick response from Tom please let me know.
John Hamann
Rharben

Post by Rharben »

Hi John
Thanks for your reply - I have emailed Tom (I cant find my original message so maybe it never arrived with him)
Hoping this wont be a lengthy process as its supposed to be summer here in the UK (although its hard to tell) and I was looking forward to training hard with the PP over the next few weeks
best Richard
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Rharben wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:21 pm Hi John
Thanks for your reply - I have emailed Tom (I cant find my original message so maybe it never arrived with him)
Hoping this wont be a lengthy process as its supposed to be summer here in the UK (although its hard to tell) and I was looking forward to training hard with the PP over the next few weeks
best Richard
If you've sent your unit in it should be turned around quickly.
John Hamann