How to replace the PowerPod Battery

darthmonkey

How to replace the PowerPod Battery

Post by darthmonkey »

I read that the PowerPod battery is likely to last for 'years', here's hoping mine does.
As it currently takes about an hour to charge, and it's small and light, I have my reservations about how long 'years' will actually be.
If at some point in the <distant> future I need to change the battery, what battery should I get, and how will I open the PowerPod to get it in?
Thanks!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: How to replace the PowerPod Battery

Post by Velocomp »

We have thousands of devices "out there" that were made in 2012, with batteries still functioning. The biggest factor to achieve long life is to periodically charge the battery so that it does not die, and if it does, do not let the battery sit "dead" for long periods of time.

If your battery should require replacement, you will need to send your unit to us for servicing. The case is ultrasonically welded.
John Hamann
darthmonkey

Post by darthmonkey »

So, theoretically speaking, if a person didn't want to go through the expense and loss of the unit for 'x' week/s, and knew their unit was well outside of any warranty, could that person use a tool, say a dremmel, to cut the device open along the weld line, with a view to using an epoxy resin to reseal it?
If that theoretical person were to replace the battery, would there be a stock one out there which would fit inside, and what would the voltage/current be?
Clearly, none of this should be attempted in practice, and would certainly not be condoned by anyone within the Velocomp organisation. This is a purely academic question.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

1) There is not a standard battery replacement. The one we use is custom-made.

2) Successfully re-sealing a dremmel-tool-opened case will be extremely difficult. You'll need a fixture to hold the case together until the epoxy cures. Afterwards you will you have to worry about water ingress, and also the operation of the wind sensor (for proper operation the case has to be 100% sealed). Finally, if the epoxy emits any kind of vapors, those vapors, trapped inside the case, will likely damage the circuit board (we have seen this problem where the user attempts to crazy-glue a case together).

Not recommended...
John Hamann