Red flashing light and weird data

Ian Boylan

Red flashing light and weird data

Post by Ian Boylan »

Hi John,
I went for a ride today (ride file attached) for a km each way from my home just to see what sort of figures the PP was giving me.
All seemed o.k. until about 100 meters from the end the red light started to flash and I got zero watts on my Garrmin.
I have had a new battery in the unit for about a week and each ride I download the ride file from my laptop and leave it connected until the light stops flashing.
The file shows a non-existent hill at the end of the ride and some spurious wattages. I did a check calibration on the file and according to Isaac it was fine.
I continued to charge from the laptop but when it seemed to go on too long I took it off power and when it still flashed red I did a hard reset which stopped the flashing. I then hooked it up to the power directly via the phone charger and the PP flashed red briefly and then stopped.
Any idea of what happened?
Cheers
Ian Boylan
Attachments
iBike_11_05_2018_1852_2_km.ibr
(34.84 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Red flashing light and weird data

Post by Velocomp »

Red flashing light during riding means that battery voltage is low. If you're using a Garmin, you can check battery level in the sensor settings screen.

It sounds like the battery is not working properly. Did you just have this unit repaired?
John Hamann
Ian Boylan

Post by Ian Boylan »

Yes the battery was recently replaced and I received it on the 29th October.
All I can find on the Garmin is a screen that says "about"and it just says 'battery status new". I can't seem to navigate through that screen and or past it. Am I missing something?
Cheers
Ian
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Well, that means it's not the battery :-)

Press-hold the button for about 12 seconds. You'll see the device flash green after about 4 seconds, and about 12 seconds, the light will go out temporarily, then start flashing again. Release the button.

This does a hard reset. See if that fixes the problem.
John Hamann
Ian Boylan

Post by Ian Boylan »

Thanks John. Already done. All looks ok. But the calibration raises a couple of questions. When I last calibrated it was 5 minutes out and back and the PP halted at 50. I assume it is now:
(A) still out and back
(B) turn but not halt at 50
Is that correct?
The other new thing for me is the ability to put it to sleep which I tried to do today unsuccessfully. I gather it takes 5 presses of the button. Are they for any particular length of time and do any lights come up?
Cheers,
Ian
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

1) Five successive clicks of the button will turn PP off.

2) Calibration procedure is shorter now; only about 3 minutes out--watts hold at 50, then STOP, turn around, then 3 minutes back
John Hamann
Ian Boylan

Post by Ian Boylan »

Is the PP supposed to halt itself at 50 as it used to do? I have done a calibration several times under the new system and the unit continues to run on past 50. That is why I assumed that there was no need for a stop. However I did stop just in case.and let the reading stop that way.
Cheers,
Ian
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Ian Boylan wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:02 am Is the PP supposed to halt itself at 50 as it used to do? I have done a calibration several times under the new system and the unit continues to run on past 50. That is why I assumed that there was no need for a stop. However I did stop just in case.and let the reading stop that way.
Cheers,
Ian
Hmm...it SHOULD stop at 50. The only circumstance where it would not is if you're riding quite slowly uphill on the out part of the ride.

Try a hard reset of your device, then a new cal ride.
John Hamann
Ian Boylan

Post by Ian Boylan »

Thanks John. I'll do that and on an absolutely flat course this time.