Battery care for Powerpod

Ian Boylan

Battery care for Powerpod

Post by Ian Boylan »

Tom has just replaced a battery for me with his usual brisk efficiency.
Which made me think. Do I have to take any special steps to prolong battery life? Such as for older generation batteries let the charge run fully down and vary the amount of charge it needs.
At the moment i leave the Powerpod on the bike and fully charge it each time I download to Isaac after one or two rides.
Please tell Tom I dont think any of his emails are spam even if Google does.
Cheers,
Ian Boylan
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Battery care for Powerpod

Post by Velocomp »

The important thing is to keep the PP battery from fully discharging. Even when "off" PP will discharge slowly. It will fully discharge after about 2 weeks of non-use.

The safe thing to do is to fully recharge it once a week. It's OK to recharge more frequently if that is easier for you.
John Hamann
Ian Boylan

Post by Ian Boylan »

Thanks John Good to know
texbiker

Post by texbiker »

Speaking of battery care of the PP BLE, how long should I expect mine to last? I put mine into service in March 2017, used for 11,113 miles. I charge it after each ride. When the battery reaches its end of life what do I do? Buy a new PP? Or?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

texbiker wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:33 am Speaking of battery care of the PP BLE, how long should I expect mine to last? I put mine into service in March 2017, used for 11,113 miles. I charge it after each ride. When the battery reaches its end of life what do I do? Buy a new PP? Or?
It should last several years; we have lots of units with 3-4 years and still going strong. The important thing is to charge your battery every few weeks so that it doesn't go completely dead.

If your battery does eventually wear out, you can send it in to us and we will replace it for a small charge.
John Hamann
texbiker

Post by texbiker »

How will I know the battery is nearing its end of life?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

texbiker wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:37 am How will I know the battery is nearing its end of life?
Your device will not hold a charge for very long--maybe just a few days or even hours.
John Hamann
texbiker

Post by texbiker »

Since I recharge after each ride and my typical ride is 4 hours or less figuring out when the battery is almost done may be difficult. Will Isaac give a battery health report?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

texbiker wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:42 pm Since I recharge after each ride and my typical ride is 4 hours or less figuring out when the battery is almost done may be difficult. Will Isaac give a battery health report?
The only way to gauge battery health is from its rate of discharge. If you keep your battery from going dead (you are), it should last a long time.
John Hamann