variety of n00b powerpod questions

funkiestj

variety of n00b powerpod questions

Post by funkiestj »

I initially configured Isaac/powerpod to use "best accuracy". I did my calibration ride and then later did a long ride. The powerpod worked great and I downloaded the ride data into Isaac. Fine.

I reweighed myself and my bike (fully loaded and kitted) and tweaked the weight setting in Isaac and pushed this to powerpod. When I went to do a ride it looked like the powerpod wanted to recalibrate again (led blinking red/green, then turned orange/yellow)

(1) if I reweigh my self + bike + gear before a ride and want to adjust powerpod should I expect it to want a recalibration ride each time I change the weight?

(2) can I change the weight for a ride ex post facto? (obviously this could only effect the Isaac view, and not what my Garmin sends to Strava)

(3) Isaac say s I have "FW Version 7.02" but I only see FW 6.41 mentioned in the firmware forum. Do you not announce every FW release in the firmware forum? (this question is not particularly important but I was curious)

(4) is may be silly (or unnecessary) but I have a desire to weigh myself + bike + gear before I go out on a ride and update the powerpod weight value. If this would indeed give more accurate results, I wish I could update the weight in the powerpod without having to connect to my PC each time (e.g. a smartphone app to push a few frequently tweaked settings, like weight) and without having to do a recalibration ride each time.

OBSERVATION: it is not very important but I thought powerpod way overestimated my power (> 800 watts) when on a steep downhill when I switched from coasting to pedaling hard. I don't really need good power data here but I found it curious.

I look forward to having more fun with my powerpod!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: variety of n00b powerpod questions

Post by Velocomp »

Here's the way to do things:

1) After you do your cal ride, connect PP to Isaac.

2) Go to "Edit/Edit Profiles"

3) Click "Extract from Device". The profile of your calibrated device will appear and be highlighted.

4) Modify weight as you desire.

5) Click "Send to Device".

You should now have a changed profile that does not require a new calibration ride.
John Hamann
funkiestj

Post by funkiestj »

Thanks!

BTW, the LED meanings cheat sheet posted in another thread was invaluable. You might want to highlight that for other n00bs.
funkiestj

Post by funkiestj »

OK, after using PP a few times, here are the easy quality of life small improvements I wish for:
  • ability to update total weight (rider, kit, bike) before a ride wirelessly, preferrably by a smartphone app. Since using PowerPod I weigh myself + bike before a ride and it can vary as much as a kilogram (heavier for longer or colder rides where I'm carrying more supplies). Being an opposing forces power meter, I would like to have the most accurate total weight plugged in each ride.
  • wirelessly sync data from powerpod to Isaac. Right now I have to do one of two annoying things: remove the PowerPod from my bike (annoying because I have the mount screw cinched down pretty tight) or put my Bike close enough to my desktop PC to connect the USB cable
I'd be happy to pay for a BLE upgrade to get these (and perhaps an iphone app)

I understand the business case for you doing what I'm asking above may not work (I hear app development and maintenance can take a lot of resources) but I figured as a user I'd chime in with my perspective anyways.

Regards,
--fj
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

funkiestj wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:42 pm OK, after using PP a few times, here are the easy quality of life small improvements I wish for:
  • ability to update total weight (rider, kit, bike) before a ride wirelessly, preferrably by a smartphone app. Since using PowerPod I weigh myself + bike before a ride and it can vary as much as a kilogram (heavier for longer or colder rides where I'm carrying more supplies). Being an opposing forces power meter, I would like to have the most accurate total weight plugged in each ride.
  • wirelessly sync data from powerpod to Isaac. Right now I have to do one of two annoying things: remove the PowerPod from my bike (annoying because I have the mount screw cinched down pretty tight) or put my Bike close enough to my desktop PC to connect the USB cable
I'd be happy to pay for a BLE upgrade to get these (and perhaps an iphone app)

I understand the business case for you doing what I'm asking above may not work (I hear app development and maintenance can take a lot of resources) but I figured as a user I'd chime in with my perspective anyways.

Regards,
--fj
Believe it or not, your wishlist is already half-complete!

BLE owners can use the FREE PowerHouse Bike ["PH"] app (available both on iOS and Android) to update weight etc.

1) Open the PH app

2) Touch the settings (Gear) icon in the bottom right
IMG_0018.png
IMG_0018.png (503.2 KiB) Viewed 3104 times
3) Touch the "Rider, Bike and Sensor Setup" button at the top to access the "Rider Info" page.
IMG_0019.png
IMG_0019.png (127.96 KiB) Viewed 3104 times
4) Wait for a checkmark to appear next to "Sensors" at the bottom of the Rider Info page. NOTE: THIS WORKS BOTH WITH POWERPOD AND AEROPOD. When the checkmark appears, your BLE Device is talking to the app (note: ANT-only PowerPods, and first-generation BLE PowerPods from early 2016 [serial number includes "83"] won't work with the app)
IMG_0020.png
IMG_0020.png (163.39 KiB) Viewed 3104 times
5) Touch "Select Bike Profile" and select the profile you want to update

6) At the top right of the Bike Profile page, touch the "down" arrow to update each of your settings.

NOTE: If you have used Isaac previously to set up the profile, you'll need to enter in your bike, rider info again into the app. The app will "remember" these settings

7) Touch the down arrow to enter each of your settings

8) On the last page, (Rider FTP) the "down" arrow greys-out--there is no additional information for you to enter. Touch the "Rider Info" button at the top left of the screen

9) Touch the yellow "Save" button at the top right of the Rider Info screen. Your info is saved to the app and is transmitted to your device

10) You will get a screen asking if you want to activate the profile. If you do click "yes". Your device will switch to the profile you just entered.
IMG_0021.png
IMG_0021.png (84.33 KiB) Viewed 3104 times
Wireless sync: this is not a trivial change to make, but it is on our road-map for the future.
John Hamann
funkiestj

Post by funkiestj »

and I can buy BLE as a firmware upgrade (and then use the app above to update my total weight?)

My recently purchased device:
  • FW version 7.02
  • Serial Number: 09-24-18-08-05-0A-B0-00-03-00-93-03-AC-7F-10-0D
in case you need that to answer my question.

wireless data transfer would be nice but the weight thing is a much bigger deal for me. Booting up my PC just to change the weight setting is a pain.

I have to boot up my PC to use Isaac so wired data transfer is less of a pain
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

funkiestj wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:20 pm and I can buy BLE as a firmware upgrade (and then use the app above to update my total weight?)

Yes, with BLE upgrade you can use PowerHouse Bike app to update your total weight.
John Hamann